Chapter 42: Longing

The sun peered in through light washed curtains, the rays bathing bedrooms in a crisp, golden glow.

Birds could be heard chirping melodies outside as they fluttered from one tree to the next despite the frost clinging to their branches.

Even though the dorms had running heaters, many of their occupants rolled over and curled up beneath the plethora of blankets they had piled up over-night.

For one blonde however, he was already up and awake despite the cold nipping at his bare feet.

Wandering around the kitchen in a black long sleeve and grey sweats, Arlo made a b-line for the coffee maker sitting in the dorm rooms kitchen counter.

He leaned on the jutted cherry wood surface, waiting for his life infusing brew to finish its cycle.

Arlo thanked the heavens that it was Sunday. As punctual as he was, he didn't know if he'd have the energy to drag himself to school on time given all that's occurred since Friday night.

He shifted with a sigh as he felt his back ache, still feeling the after effects of his fight with that one sparky lady.

He had really asked too much of his body armor and despite its reliable durability, there were still some injuries he couldn't avoid. Namely light bruising. That and the small burn on his upper arm from when his shirt caught fire.

Though, it wasn't nearly as awful as Blyke's arm, Isen's knuckles and Kuyo's leg.

Blyke had been the first one Elaine had attended to the night they snuck back, shocked at the state the lot of them had returned in as well as the overwhelming amount of dust and soot on their skin and clumped in their hair.

Seraphina was just as surprised, though there was a current of nervousness in her eyes.

Arlo couldn't blame either of them for being scared. 

They had been prepared to take anything on. Yet there they were, looking like they just got into a fight with a fire pit and lost.

But Elaine was more than just upset when they told her everything that occurred.

.........

Elaine narrowed her eyes as she finally finished healing Blyke.

"Is this going to happen every time you all go out?" Her voice was low and shaky.

Everyone stared at her in confusion before she stood up, lifting her gaze to meet the rest of theirs. "What's it going to take for you all to realize how horrible of an idea this is?! John may be missing, but is it really worth it to go out, risking your necks to find him?! What if something went wrong?! What if Blyke hadn't blocked in time or Arlo's barrier had actually failed?! What then?!"

The bluette looked at all of them. "I mean, come on guys! Falling buildings, kidnapping, murderous criminals with enhancement drugs! Does none of this scare any of you at all?!"

When she still got no answer, her voice got louder, her anger now having turned into something else, something more akin to terror.

She waved her arm out in front of her in an arc. "Who's going to die first before you all realize how insane this is?!"

Silence was all that met her before the tears that had been balancing at the corners of her eyes tipped over, spilling down her cheeks. "My healing can only do so much...! I can only heal so many wounds, repair so much damaged tissue and stop so much bleeding...! But I'm not a miracle worker guys! What happens if someone comes back with a wound I can't heal?! With a wound so severe that even my abilities won't be enough?! I'm just an elite level healer...! I don't have the obnoxious amounts of power at my fingertips like you all do...! And even now, we've discovered that even power isn't enough these days!"