Chapter 33 : Things are changing

Surprisingly enough, this was the most stressful match yet

Both teams were constantly attacking, failing, then learning and adjusting whenever that happened. It was almost like a dance- sometimes it was Ray's team who had an advantage, and sometimes it was Tommy's. And all of this went on and on, and before the girl could realize it, it was just a minute till emerald iii.

"This stupid fuck-" Arthur began, before cutting himself off by a harsh sigh and a slam against his table. "I hate fireballs so fucking much."

"It's okay, we have plenty of resources at the base, just check the chest whenever you respawn." Adam assured, continuing his strict bed defending just like every round.

At this point, Ray was actually feeling competitive. Maybe it was the annoyingness of the opposite team, or the never ending game time, but she was getting impatient. She was getting rougher and more reckless with her attacks, using all of the emeralds she could get her hands on for pots. Yet nothing worked, just like for her team, there was always someone on Tommy's who stayed on bed at all time and was impossible to avoid.

'We have to try harder.'
She thought, focusing on her screen as she arrived to mid with all of the materials she needed for yet another rush.

They were playing invasion, a rather annoying map for rushing the opposite side. That's why instead of wasting time, and knowing both side routes were too dangerous and obvious, she had decided to keep mid rushing.

But suddenly, half-way there, Ray's computer froze. She of course thought it was a couple second thing, considering the threatening warmth of the room and the overworking of the PC, but no, it wasn't coming back.

Brows furrowing, Ray began maniacally shaking her cursor and using her WASD keys, but nothing worked.

"Uhm, guys?" She asked, receiving muttered 'yeah's' in response. "Am I moving?"

"No?" Arthur responded. "Why?"

"I think my pc is lagging for some reason." Ray explained, leaning down to check the temperature of the PC case, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"Maybe you lost connection?" Harry tried his best to help, but Ray just shook her head.

"No idea."

"What are we gonna do?" Adam immediately cried out, as if it was a life and death thing.

"This is unfair, the match should be paused. Our main player is down." Arthur commented.

By this time staff was already walking in, having noticed from the screens outside that Ray's stream had gone down.

And at this time, Tommy's team had no idea.

"C'mon, hurry up! Let's just rush them boys!" Tommy yelled out victoriously, before looking to his right to find one of his teammates, Lori, staring at him. "-and girls."

"It's fine, I'm not rushing anyways." Lori chuckled, continuing to watch over the base as she had been doing so far.

Tommy's team was extremely good. They had Lori, the bed defender; Evan, for some reason not a leaderboard player although he was extremely good, and Charles, who was super chill and a great distraction whenever they rushed. With his team, Tommy had been successful at eliminating all of his enemies, and he would do just that in this game too.

But whilst he was confidently running through mid, because both of his teammates were rushing from the sides, he stumbled upon NightmareNyx's unmoving persona. Even upon slashing her with his sword, there was no reaction. Tommy frowned at the sight.

"What the hell?" He muttered under his breath.

"What the hell what?" Evan questioned from across from him.

"Nothing, just go on." Tommy assured him, and thought for just a couple of seconds before deciding what he would do.

With a couple simple taps, Ray was defended by a wool enclosure, that was just enough to fit her character inside. The color of the wool, red, made it difficult for her name tag to be seen.

Taking a short look at his creation, Tommy subtly nodded to himself at how noble he was, before walking right past her and towards the opposition's base.

Whilst in the other booth, the staff member finally got Ray's pc working.

"So sorry about that." He apologized, the girl simply denying it and sending him a smile before she turned back to her game.

She was surprised when realizing that she was surrounded by total darkness, but using her sheers, she instantly broke out.

"Huh?" She thought out aloud, looking at the color of the wool.

"Hey, can someone come back to base? I see 3 of them coming and all of my fireballs missed." Adam spoke in a slightly panicky voice, getting Ray out of thought.

"Sure, I'm just re-spawning anyways." Arthur yawned.

"Actually, guys, try to keep them occupied. I'm going in." Ray decided, potting up before heading for the red base.

And low and behold, upon killing their bed defender, NightmareNyx finally broke the bed.

"YESSS!" Her entire team chanted, almost getting up from their seats in excitement.

Ray was now flooded with adrenaline, once again killing the bed defender and eliminating her fully. Then they went for the rest of the team and it resulted in a quick victory.

"WE WON! WE WON!" Adam jumped up, followed by everyone else as they yelled out in happiness.

🡆

"Congratulations on winning!"

The huge audience erupted into yells and claps as certificates were handed out to Ray and her team, as well as the special prize baskets. Despite her mask and glasses covering her identity, you could tell by her demeanor that she had an ear-to-ear smile plastered on her lips. She was proud, excited and most importantly, felt appreciated. The people cheering her on in the audience made her heart skip a beat.

She felt like she belonged.

But then her gaze skipped over to the far left, where some of the other competitors stood. And onto TommyInnit himself.

Surprisingly enough, he did not seem disappointed like his teammates. No, he had a smile on his face as he stared right back at her.

'Is he mocking me?'
Ray thought at first.

But then with a small shake of her head, she turned back towards the crowd and waved ecstatically.

this was cuter in my head