Ch. 6: Sweet Scent of Awkward

The smell of pancakes surrounded her when Rani opened her eyes. The back of her head throbbed with pain, but it'd lessened to a dull tap.

Charlie sat on the sofa next to her, watching some cartoons, and giggling at something.

Rani fumbled with her glasses and blinked.

"Hungry?" someone asked.

She clutched her chest, preventing her heart from popping out. Matt had appeared right behind her, holding a plate of thick, fluffy pancakes.

Right. She'd slept at his house, thanks to hitting her head and being doozy from crying. Matt had a sleepy smile on his face and wore a distinctive 'woke like this look', complete with hair that stood up at odd ends. Tiredness tugged at his eyelids and he blinked lazily.

"No," she said, sorting out the sofa and blanket. "I'm alright. I have to get home."

"Rani—" he said.

She rushed out of the house, tripping over the brick walkway to her car. Her ankle slipped out of her heel several times as she stumbled around. Walk of shame huh?

Her stomach grumbled nastily, baying to all the whales in the near area. She'd forgotten to eat dinner last night.

Maybe she should've taken the pancakes.

As she sorted out her purse and hair, she saw Matt come out, holding a takeaway box, and wearing pink flip flops.

He knocked on her window and after a moment, she lowered it.

"Here," he said, handing over the box. Vanilla and chocolate scents swirled around her as she took it and set it down next to her.

"Thanks, and thanks for letting me stay over."

"It's alright."

"I promise it won't happen again."

"I wouldn't mind if you did," he mumbled. There was a slight edge to his voice that left a crawling feeling on her neck, like a spider was do-si-doing on her spine.

He was watching her as if studying her; he'd tilted his head and his eyebrows were drawn together.

"Nice kickers," she said flatly.

The edges of his lips quirked up in a small smile. There was a glint in those chocolate brown eyes. A mop of black hair fell across his head, and as he shook it slowly, he said, "Thanks. Charlie picked them out for me."

She huffed. "I guess I'll see you in town."

As she rolled up the window, she swore he muttered something like, "If you'll let me."

What had that meant?

I pity the guy. You don't like him cause he looks like your ex.

As usual, Ram's annoying insights drove over her brain.

Sure it was true, but nothing good happened when she liked someone.

Vishnu had taught her that and if being hit by a car and losing memories of someone precious her wasn't a lesson...well, nothing was. Every single time she became too happy, something shitty had to happen.

It wasn't until she got to her apartment that she noticed she hadn't put on her shirt. Her tits were almost on full display, barely covered by the neckline of her tank top.

No wonder why he was staring at me.

She could've heated up the pancakes on her face with the flames that radiated off of it. Knowing there was no way of going back now, she opened the box.