xvi. pranks & the flayed

The group of teens returned to Mike's place, their anxieties lingering in the air

The group of teens returned to Mike's place, their anxieties lingering in the air. Eleven, resolute in her mission to find Hopper, entered the void. 'Cassidy' insisted on assisting, eager to contribute, but Eleven, with a singular determination, denied her help and embarked on the journey alone.

As the room held its collective breath, Cassidy and Max sat diagonally across from each other, their hands tightly locked—a silent display of shared worry. The minutes passed, tension escalating, until Eleven reappeared.

"I found him," she declared, her voice carrying a mix of relief and urgency. Mike, his eyes reflecting hope, pressed for details, "Where is he?" The response came succinctly, "Woods."

With that revelation, Eleven removed her blindfold, leaving the group to absorb the significance of the location and contemplate the next steps in this unfolding quest to rescue Hopper.

"Woods?" Mike sought clarification, and Eleven nodded in confirmation. "He's with... Will's mom," she revealed, prompting a surprised reaction from Will, who looked up from the ground to meet Eleven's gaze. "My... My mom?" he stuttered, seeking further confirmation, and Eleven nodded again. 'Cassidy' pursed her lips, absorbing the unexpected information.

"What are they doing?" Cassidy inquired, her curiosity evident. "Ill... annoy," Eleven replied, causing Cassidy to silently chuckle at the amusing pronunciation of Illinois. "They're going to Illinois," Eleven clarified slowly.

"Mike! Breakfast!" Karen's voice echoed from outside, breaking the intense atmosphere. Mike rolled his eyes, glancing towards the door, torn between the urgency of the situation and the mundane call of everyday life.

"NOT NOW, MOM!" Mike's frustrated shout reverberated through the house, momentarily drowning out the call for breakfast. He refocused on Eleven, seeking clarification. "The state of Illinois?" Mike asked, trying to understand the cryptic message. Eleven, with a playful shrug and a mischievous smile, amusingly repeated, "Ill... annoy," adding a touch of humor to the serious situation.

Feeling the need to shift the focus away from the heavy revelation, Cassidy stood up, extending her hand to Eleven. "Come on, let's clean your face." Eleven, grateful for the break from intense discussions, locked hands with Cassidy. Together with Max, they walked to the bathroom, leaving the lingering mysteries behind temporarily. The ordinary act of cleaning up served as a momentary escape from the extraordinary challenges and uncertainties they faced.

Max carefully wet a paper towel with water, her focus on gently dabbing at Eleven's bloody nose. As Eleven caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, she instinctively touched the tender spot on her neck. Concerned, Cassidy asked, "Does it still hurt?" Her eyes connected with Eleven's.