Chapter Fifteen

As soon as William finishes up everything he needs to while at work, the two of you meet back with Henry before heading home.

"Before you both leave," Henry starts, "I wanted to ask something of you."

You can tell he is a bit stressed by the way he lifts a hand to his dirty blonde hair and shifts his eyes between both of you as he speaks.

"My wife's family invited me to their ball tomorrow night, and I'd really prefer not to go alone..."

As he talks, he motions to William while exaggeratedly rolling his eyes as if he's asked him this once before.

William turns to you with a brief explanation before responding.

"Every few years, his wife's family holds an irritatingly extravagant ball at their winter home."

Henry nods as he continues.

"It was never something my wife or I particularly enjoyed... but we always attended, considering it was hosted by her family and all."

His brown eyes sadden softly as he thinks back to fond memories with his wife.

"Fancy things like that never interested us, but we didn't mind as long as we were simply in each other's company... Anyway, this will be the first time it's been held since she, uh... passed away."

Before Henry can fully ask the two of you to accompany him, you reach out and take his hand into yours.

"You knew better than to ask me in the past," William responds, causing Henry to laugh as he recalls one of their past conversations.

"But of course we will come with you."

You nod enthusiastically as you continue to hold Henry's hand, smiling at him.

He sighs a breath of relief before thanking the two of you.

"It's tomorrow evening at 8," he smiles, waving goodbye as he watches both of you head towards the front door.

♡~~~♡

Looking out of the car window, your eyes squint as you realize William just missed the turn into his neighborhood.

"Are we not going home?" you curiously ask, watching as his face remains unworried at your words.

"No," he responds, turning to you with a smile.

Before you can question him further, you feel as he pulls the car into a parking lot, and widen your eyes upon seeing the large dress boutique ahead.

Numerous shades of all colors imaginable fill your vision as you look through the windows, and dresses of all occasions are scattered throughout the interior.

You hear a soft laugh to your left, and look over to see William smile at you.

"You'll need a dress for tomorrow night, so pick out any one you like."

Excited, you nod your head at his generosity.

"I will be in the next shop over if you need me, love."

For the next hour, you search all over the boutique for dresses that catch your attention, trying several on in the dressing room before finally deciding on one.

Watching in the mirror, you smile to yourself as you look down at the elegant dress you are wearing:

A graceful, deep purple gown with black delicate lace around the bust flowing down to your feet.

'It is perfect.'

You slip the dress off before handing it to a shopping assistant who leads you to the front of the store.