Chapter 17

Warning: Blood and harsh language.

Adelaide didn't see the hex coming at her, but she certainly felt it when the magic hit her in the chest as she was walking down to the Great Hall for dinner.

"Ough!" She hissed as she fell to the ground.

"Adelaide! Oh, Merlin!" Alexander shouted, quickly going after her.

He grabbed her arm and looked her over, trying to find out what had happened.

Then he saw the blood.

Red bloomed through her white shirt, spreading rapidly around her middle.

"Oh, God! Adelaide, come on, talk to me!" Alexander frantically cried, holding her close to him.

She didn't answer him.

Laughter coming from a darkened corner pulled the blonde Ravenclaw's eyes away from his bleeding friend.

He caught sight of masses of curly black hair and a maniacal grin.

"Bellatrix! What the hell did you do?" Alexander erupted in fury.

The eldest daughter of the House of Black just cackled hysterically and skipped away before he could send a curse back at her.

Looking down to see Adelaide's face losing color scared Alexander more than anything else in his sixteen years.

"Help! Someone help!" He screamed, panic dripping from his voice.

There was so much blood.

He didn't know what to do. Could he carry her all the way to the hospital wing before she lost too much?

"Adelaide, stay with me. I'm going to get you help, I promise!" He whispered, tears stinging his eyes.

Gently lifting her into his arms, Alexander hurried as fast as he could without hurting her more.

Small drops of red trailed after them.

"Alexander? Why are y- oh! What happened!" Someone cried as he rushed past them.

He slowed long enough for the Head Girl to see the redhead lying limp in his arms.

"Adelaide!" She quickly moved closer to them and inspected her as best she could with the girl wrapped tightly in Alexander's arms.

"Bellatrix hit her with a curse or hex of some kind when we weren't looking, the bitch!" He growled, his green eyes burning flames of rage.

"She's losing too much blood!" Harriette said in a rush, "Wait, let me try something!"

She pulled out her wand, and with trembling hands, cast a healing spell over the deepest gashes on Adelaide's stomach.

"Vulnera Sanentur," She said clearly.

Alexander couldn't tell if anything had happened, but Harriette seemed slightly relieved.

"That should at least slow the blood flow. Now come on, we need to get her to the hospital wing!" She explained.

Harriette leading the way, they ran as quickly and gently as they could to find the school's Healer.

The older Witch was checking on another patient when they burst through the doors and came barreling towards her.

"Merlin! Put her here, Mister Lark! Carefully!" Madam Pomfrey said, ushering them to an empty cot near the back of the room.

Easing his friend's limp body down, Alexander held his breath when the Healer gasped loudly.