I 32 I

☂ ordinary ☂ 

THE DAY THAT WAS

'-We all died fighting this thing the first time around. Remember?' Klaus cuts in. 

'Klaus, shockingly, has a point. What gives us a win this time?' Diego adds dully. 

Suddenly pulsing lights flood the room, and Five appears, landing in the middle of the table. 

Well shit. 

'What the hell?' I jump back. 

'Je... Jesus!' Alison exclaims. 

'You guys, am I still high, or do you see him, too?' Klaus rolls up from the floor. 

'Five, where have you been?' I demand. 

He winces, grabbing his side. Blood seeps through his uniform. 'Are you okay?'

'Who did this?' Luther asks. 

'Irrelevant.' Five says, brushing off his clothing like he didn't just appear out of nowhere, injured and covered in dust. He walks away, taking a long sip of coffee. 'So, the apocalypse is in three days. The only chance we have to save our world is, well, us.' 

'The Umbrella Academy.' Luther finishes. 

'Yeah, but with me, obviously.' Five glances across the room. 'So if y'all don't get your sideshow acts together and get over yourselves, we're screwed.' He sighs. 'Who cares if Dad messed us up? Are we gonna let that define us?' Luther shakes his head. 

I roll my eyes. 'No. And to give us a fighting chance to see next week, I've come back with a lead.' Five continues. 'I know who's responsible for the apocalypse.' He holds up a slip of paper. 'This is who we have to stop.'

'Harold Jenkins?' Alison frowns. 

'Who the hell is Harold Jenkins?'

'I know who he is,' I gasp. 

FlASHBACK    (Y/n is 11 years old)

I sniffle, covering my face with my hands. With a grimace, the lock on the door in front of me busts open, revealing the house which I'd only ever been in once. I climb the stairs slowly, hurriedly glancing down the hallways.

'Hello?' I whisper, checking around the corners to make sure Dad and my siblings were truly out on a mission and not waiting to ambush me. 

With a sigh, I push open the front door, feeling the fresh air surround me. A loud gasp distracts me from my surroundings. 

'Are you a member of the Umbrella Academy?' It's a boy's voice, from what I can surmise. I lift my hands automatically, a blue shield of energy blocking my view. 'Whoa!' 

Bringing my hands back down, I stare at the small figure crouched under the lilac bush.

'Who are you?' I demand. 'What are you doing here?' 

'Please don't tell,' He whispers. 'I'm a big fan.' 

'Of the Umbrella Academy?' I raise my eyebrows. 

'Yes,' He nods rapidly. 'You must be one of them. I-I saw what you can do.' 

I shake my head. 'Well, kind of.' 

'I'm Harold Jenkins.' 

'Y/n.'