Chapter Six

Josie

I've almost survived the day. Hudson's show is set to start in an hour, and despite finding a million mundane tasks for me to do, he hasn't been half-bad.

That being said, I could do without Amelia coming into his dressing room to wish him luck.

"You're going to great, as usual." She hugs up to him in his chair, looking at their reflection in the mirror. "Sorry I've been so stressed."

"Being stressed means you get things done."

Tabitha continues fixing Hudson's waves of hair. It's longer on top than on the sides, and the style makes him look both clean cut and rocker all in one.

He's wearing a gray V-neck shirt, with a silver chain hanging from his neck. I see more tattoos on his arms than previously, and I wonder what the new ones are. I can still map out the ones he had when we were together in my head.

I've thought about them plenty of times...

"See you after the show. We're leaving from here directly after to make it to Detroit."

"Thanks for all your hard work." He tells her, then leans in for a kiss.

I shouldn't watch them kiss, but I can't tear my eyes away.

When they break apart, Hudson's eyes find mine in the mirror.

Heat warms my cheeks and I look away quickly. But I know he knows I watched them.

Amelia retreats to go back to whatever she's doing, and Tabitha finishes up Hudson's look moments later.

"Josie." He addresses me, but doesn't look back at me. "Come with me to get a microphone."

I follow behind him down the long hallway.

Hudson stops abruptly, and I almost crash into him. I don't have time to recover, before his hand clamps down over my wrist and he pulls me into a dark room.

Judging by the shapes I can see in the dim light, this is some kind of storage room for microphone stands, speakers and lights. But I know that his microphone is already on the stage from soundcheck earlier. 

"What are you doing?" I hate how breathy my voice is when I speak.

He stands still, his grip on my wrist not easing, but he doesn't say anything.

"Hudson..."

As if me saying his name snapped him out of his trance, he uses his other hand to push me into the nearest wall.

I gasp, wincing at the slight pain as my back connects with the cement blocks.

"I see who you really are." He snarls, but keeps his voice low. Which makes him sound more threatening. "You're making friends, and they all like you, but I know. I know you're nothing but a spoiled little brat."

I'm not sure what to say. It hurts my feelings that someone I once cared about could say those things about me, but I've heard worse from other people in my life.

Hudson might seem intimidating, but I'm not afraid of him.

"Did it make you mad to see me kissing her?"

We're talking about Amelia now, and I steel myself.

"No."

"You're a liar."

"It didn't bother me, Hudson. You can do whatever you want."

"Then why did you watch the whole thing?"