Chapter FortySix

The lights of Main Street are far behind us as we pull into the driveway. The Jeep jolts as the gravel driveway rolls under the tires.

I tense as each bump causes the pain in my thigh to ignite. Sage grips my leg tight in an attempt to keep it as still as possible.

"Easy!" he barks from behind my left ear as another jolt makes me suck in a sharp breath.

"It's okay, Sage" I mutter, my cheeks flaming at the attention. Ryder listens to Sage anyway and I feel the car slow, the jolting becoming less and less.

The car pulls to a stop in front of the house. Ryder and Gunner are the first two out, coming around and opening Sage's and I's door. The door on the other side slams shut as Gabe and Penelope get out too.

Gunner grabs onto my arm as I slide out the car and balance on one leg, my injured leg now numb from the tie.

"Hold her" Sage orders as he does his best to slide out the Jeep without using his chest. Gunner grabs my forearm as I hold on to the open car door.

The lights from the house light up Sage's shirt, the mass amounts of blood becoming visible against the dark material of his shirt.

I turn and look towards the front door as it opens, people pouring out. They stand back and gather on the steps, observing. Guards hover around everywhere, twice the amount than usual.

Suddenly it hits me. In the panic of Sage missing I had forgotten about Ivy's death. My heart sinks in my chest as I look at Gunner, his attention on Sage trying his best to get out of the car, his arms taunt in case Sage falls.

"Oh my god" I say in horror, bringing my hand to my mouth as my eyes become blurry. Gunner turns to look at me, concern lacing his face.

"What's wrong, Dove?" he questions, his eyes scanning my face, focusing on the bruises before looking me in the eyes.

I briefly hear Sage's worried 'what's wrong' in the background but I don't pay him any attention.

"Ivy" I breathe out, choking on my breath "I'm so sorry, Gunner" a sob rips from my throat. Sage grabs my hip from behind in an attempt to comfort me.

"No, no it's okay, Dove" Gunner's voice remains in control, if anything empathic towards me.

"No" I sob, tears falling "no, it's not" I struggle to breathe in as the panic takes over my chest, my throat tightening rapidly.

Sage grabs my waist and turns me around as he still remains seated in the Jeep, his legs on the gravel ground as he pulls me into him. I cover my eyes with my hands as I continue to sob, Sage's embrace doing little to make me feel better.

"Dove, it's okay" I hear Gunner behind me but it's muffled by Sage's shoulder as I press it to my ear, my face in his neck.

I shake my head against Sage's shoulder as he stands, bringing me closer, his blood once again leaking onto my dress.

Sage bends and wraps an arm around the back of my legs, doing his best to lift me over his shoulder. He struggles, releasing a groan when he strains his injured chest.

"Here, I've got her" Ryder butts in, taking a step closer before Gunner places a hand on his chest, halting him.

"Fuck off" Sage growls lowly. Ryder raises his hands in the air and steps back as Sage tries once again and this time manages to lift me.

With a grunt I'm placed gently onto his shoulder. I hold onto his neck so that I'm not facing the ground. The tears continue to steam down my face as Sage nears the steps, Gunner standing behind him in case he falls. Everyone that had gathered at the steps parts like the red sea as they ogle my bruised face.