CHAPTER 22

TRIGGER WARNING: references mental illness
————————————————————————

The hospital was a clinical, too-white labyrinth of gleaming corridors and dull plastic chairs. Nurses smiled too falsely, doctors rushed by in a whirl of white jacket and metal stethoscope, and the perpetual scent of chemicals permeated the air.

The entire thing made Carter's skin crawl, and from the moment he stepped through those glasses double doors, he remained tense and on-edge.

He tapped his foot for the entire hour they sat in the waiting room, and drank the coffee Margo gave him so quickly he barely registered the bitter taste.

When he was finally called into the hallway beyond, Carter sprang so quickly from his seat he nearly knocked it over. A dozen pairs of eyes shot to him, and Carter's cheeks burned beneath their scrutiny.

"Want me to wait here?" Margo asked quietly. She had a tabloid spread out across her knees and had taken to highlighting random words-for what purpose, Carter wasn't sure. "I'm sure you could use some alone time with your Mum."

Carter gave a brisk nod, trying to ignore the pounding of his heart against his chest. "Sure."

"I'll be right out here if you need," she called, smiling encouragingly as he shuffled from the room.

A nurse was waiting for him outside.

"So you're Carter?" She asked, smiling thinly. She had watery grey eyes and a pale hair pulled back in a tight bun. A name tag dubbed her 'Joyce.' "Mrs. Willows' son?"

"Erm, yeah," Carter mumbled, running a hand agitatedly through his hair. "Yeah, that's me."

"Great," the nurse replied, already turning on her heel, "I'll take you to her now."

Carter sucked in a breath and followed tentatively, tucking his hands in his hoodie pocket as he went; they'd started shaking fifteen minutes into the wait.

"Hey," Ryu murmured against his ear, startling Carter so thoroughly his shoes squeaked sharply against the linoleum as he stumbled.

The nurse shot him a bemused frown, and he smiled back sheepishly.

"Sorry," Ryu mumbled, "just wanted to check in. See if you were okay."

Carter didn't even have to consider his answer. "Not even a little bit right now," he muttered under his breath.

"Right. 'Course not." The demon ducked his head and tugged on a piercing, brow furrowed. "...She'll be okay," he offered finally, cautiously. "She'll get through this."

"Are you sure?" Carter asked acidly, voice a sharp whisper-although Joyce kept glancing at him over a shoulder, so she probably thought he was a tad strange already. "Because last time I checked, you thought she was 'obviously a lost cause.'"

Ryu gave a violent flinch and fell silent; Carter immediately felt guilt wash through him.

"Look," he sighed, "I shouldn't have brought that up-"

"No," Ryu interjected, "I deserved that. And," he added tentatively, "for what it's worth, I'm sorry. I never should've said it."

Carter could only nod, but a bloom of gratitude flared within him.

"I'm sorry too," he said finally, as the nurse led him around another corner.

At Ryu's inquisitive glance, he added, "for telling Margo I didn't trust you."

"Oh." The demon shrugged, though a hint of tension eased from his shoulders. "That's okay. It was the truth."

Carter opened his mouth to argue, but Ryu cut him off.