○ 27

The sound of her phone ringing filled the air as she waited for the other end to pick up. Placing her phone against her pillow as she sits in front of the device filled with anticipation.

Her eyes drift down to her fingers, pushing at her cuticles in a nervous habitual habit as the ringing continues.

She lets out a deep breath, steadying herself as she hears the other side finally connect. Why she was so nervous she didn't know, but her stomach flipped and breath staggered once she lifted her eyes to land on the boy who was displayed on the screen.

"Hey," he said, voice a little raspy and Mari swore she could hear her heart in her ears.

"Hi," she said back, eyes drinking in the view of him sitting in his gamer seat, hoodie draped over his body and messy hair poking out from underneath his head phones.

The light from the monitor in front of him illuminating his skin with a soft glow. His gentle features prominent and eye capturing to the girl.

"Wh-" her lips open to speak, about to ask him a question before he interrupts her.
"Sorry Mari, just give me one second."

She watched as his eyes flicker back to the screen in front of him, hand moving the mouse around and the sound of clicking resonated through to her end.

The feeling of a pang could be felt in her heart, she couldn't tell if it was sadness or neglect but just as she was looking for an escape from her families disdain, she was met with another uneasy reality- someone else was putting her second.

His eyes continued to roam rapidly around the screen that illuminated his face with flashing lights, indicating he was still in game. The faint sound of guns being shot and a familiar voice that belonged to Jeno rang through the her end.

Her shoulders slumped a bit, posture falling slightly at the disappointment she felt in that second. Eyes trailing to her hands as she played with her fingers.

"Hey guys, I got to go," his words echoed into her ears, making her look back up to him and watch as he clicks and takes off his head set, hand ruffling his hair back into place and perhaps she was wrong.

Misjudgement on her side as the pang in her heart felt a little different now. A fluttering almost euphoric wave flooded her body, making her feel light as she looks at him in disbelief.

How could she be so quick to judge him? Belittling him without knowing his motives and so that fluttering feeling was also coupled with guilt- her bottom lip trapping itself in the grasp of her teeth as she tries to navigate her way through her gut churning in culpability and her heart palpitating erratically.

"Hey Ma?" She heard his voice and her eyes readjust to the screen, having spaced out as she stared at him.

"You okay?" He asked, elbows resting on the arm rests as he leant forward slightly, the necklace he was wearing dangling in front of him as his eyes gazed into hers.

"Y-yeah I'm great," she muttered out, coming to her senses as she pulled her hoodie sleeves out to cover up her hands.

"You sure? You sounded a little urgent on text," he asked once more, tone sweet and soothing.

Mari sighed, fingers picking at each other as she looks down briefly.
"Yeah I am great, just step mum being herself I guess."

"Don't like her?"
"I... guess. I just- she pushed my limit a little, I don't know."

"Do you want to talk about it?" His words made her look back up, eyes taking in his disposition once again making her heart do another somersault.