Chapter 107

Or it was supposed to.

It felt more like an awkward interaction with a distant relative rather than a border security interview.

"I was born and raised in Velven"

Ann continued to answer in a flat tone.

Since she had to survive this exchange without creating any suspicions she decided to maintain a neutral persona.

"Antarctica is such a unique name"

But sustaining it without breaking character was a difficulty on its own.

Tozier kept his eyes on the paper, while occasionally scribbling something in the thick ledger. 

He was making entries with the information available in Ann's papers in the entry ledger.

"I get that a lot"

'Of course, it's unique. It's the name of a continent that doesn't exist in this world'

"Is it southern?"

"Yes. As southern as you can go"

"Hmm..."

Ann tried to read into Tozier's poker face. But not a single facial muscle on his face moved out of the ordinary, almost as if they were cemented together.

Tozier appeared to be in his late fifties with a salt and pepper look. His short beard had sprinkles of black in them, with veins visible on his forehead. His bear-like build and authoritative aura were enough to convince anyone about his stature among the guards without asking about it. Not to mention the obvious number of stars on his chest.

Ann recalled her Grandmother Maria's portrait in her home. Her armor did not contain any stars but was replaced by a silver eagle to show her position as Commander of the Eagle Knights, which was also the family crest of the Ashfords.

"Age twenty-six. Human. Marital status...... occupied"

Tozier muttered as he read the details mentioned in the paper before asking Ann,

"Occupied?"

"Is that a relevant question?" Ann's face started twitching, losing control of her neutral self.

Instead of answering, Ann frowned and faced Tozier, who was staring at her intently.

As the clock ticked, Tozier stayed silent waiting until she gave him the answer to his question.

"..."

"..."

"..."

"Haah.." Ann sighed.

"I have someone I'm interested in. But he doesn't want to marry as of now. Hence occupied"

"Purpose of visit..... mercenary. You are escorting merchants, I see"

"..."

"Have you ever been to Orion before?"

"No. I have never stepped a foot outside my country. So you could say I'm very excited about my visit"

"Do you have any plans to harm the peace of this country?"

"Yeah. I'm planning on bombing a few cities"

"..."

Tozier raised his eyebrows, unamused by her answer. He had stopped right when he was about to stamp her paper approval when he heard her declare terrorism.

"That was a joke. Things like that are terrible. I'm against violence" Ann waved her hands.

"So do you have any plans to harm the peace of this country?" Tozier repeated his question, this time expecting a proper answer.