[59] Taken For Granted

The wind brings so many scents to me. But none of them are able to give me the undeniable joy that I felt seven years ago. 

Her pack must have welcomed new brides this year too, unlike ours. One of her friends must have found her mate and left for his pack. Doesn't watching them makes her wonder about her mate? Doesn't she feel the urge to look for me? 

Bad thoughts circulates in my mind these days. What if her wolf has gotten weak? What if she now lives far away to ever discover me?

I gulp the rest of the wine in the glass and look around at the people celebrating.

The pups will shift next year. The one who didn't find their mates last year, waited this year too. King returned alone with Virion and Anton.

Adam thinks he will find his mate sooner than mine just like Anton. Oskar chooses to leave it on the fate. It doesn't stop him from enjoying the feasts and bonfires. Lysar has joined the group too and I almost lost my will to worship Moon Goddess.

She didn't trouble King like the rest of brothers and sisters. But that doesn't mean he was content. She isn't giving him an heir either.

My whole anger releases out on the hunt. The brothers notice it. None of them says any hopeful word anymore to my relief. I don't want any false hopes.

I think of giving up. I imagine myself running away to an uninhabited jungle just like father did without his mate.

But a sudden spark always ignites my heart and warms me up. It tells me to not lose my faith.

Tomorrow. Some day. One day.

She will be here, with me.

A hand comes in my sight from nowhere. I almost loses my breaths.

The scent is full of roses and incense. I take a sniff, follow the pale arm up to look at the dancer.

She isn't the female I have been thinking of.

The dancer doesn't blink and sends a small seductive smile to me.

I want to look away and shake my head so she can get the sign. I have no reasons to celebrate tonight.

My lips part to say a word. But nothing comes out.

Her eyes are of the color of fresh new leaves of a plant. Like the color of the stone staying low under the crystal clear lake. The kohl makes her orbs more light.

She snakes her hand into mine and tugs.

The glass slips from my hand. Before I could even take note of the numbness in my body, she pulls me more into the dancing crowd.

The smell of sweat and wine lingers around my nose. But her scent is too rich to break my trance. I follow and she doesn't turn around to show me her back. She leads while looking at me only.

The beast inside roars. Something stings beneath my eyebrows.

Her soft hand pulls me to one of the secluded tents.

She pushes me on the furs.

It is too dark to enjoy the rich colors. My head feels heavy.

I squint my eyes and try to look.

The sound of clothes dropping on the floor reaches my ears.