Easy A

Y/N POV-

My leg bounces up and down restlessly as I wait outside the court room for Romanoff. Constantly checking the clock, worried that she'd be late.

Minutes pass by and with literally seconds to spear my head jolts up to the click of heels tapping against the floor. Her hair lightly blowing behind her as she walks quickly.

"I thought you were going to be late." I stress.

"I don't do late, that's you. Remember?" Of course I remember.

"Right." I nod.

It's nerve wrecking walking into court, all eyes on us. High hopes and expectations pressuring us to do our very best. Romanoff stands confidently in front of the judge, her posture that of a ballerina while mine made it fairly evident I was nervous.

She does the majority of the speaking, following our plan perfectly until we'd won the case. To say my confidence had changed would be an understatement. I let my pride and ego stack high with my first success.

Both of us were thanked profusely by the family we'd supported and we headed out the court room with our heads held high.

"So what now?" I question with a grin from ear to ear.

"There's some paperwork I have to deal with but now we head back to the office and start the next case." She says emotionlessly.

"Oh, okay." I wasn't sure why I was shocked or why I'd expected her to congratulate me. For her this case was 'child's play' and given yesterday's remark she has little interest in praising me.

"How'd you get here?" She asks.

"Taxi."

"Well you can ride back with me." We stand at the edge of the concrete as a sleek black car pulls up. Driven by a man in a black and white tuxedo.

Fancy.

My jaw drops a little as the man steps out the car offering both of us one by one his hand as he helps us into the car.

"Don't look so shocked." She rolls her eyes at me. We both buckle the seatbelts. "Seems a bit much though doesn't it, we're both capable of driving and yet you pay someone to do it for you." I say absentmindedly.

"I work hard, I make money, I live in luxury. You could too." She shrugs.

"Yeah but it just seems unnecessary, you pay this man to drive us around while that guy sleeps on the side of the street." I gesture to the man on the corner of the road wrapped up in dirty blankets.

"Some people make it in life, some people don't. Suck it up Y/N it's life." She says casually.

"Easy for you to say... Though I doubt that man would have the same opinion."

She laughs bitterly "I worked night and day to get where I've gotten so it's a little offensive when you imply otherwise. Some of us have to work incredibly hard to get where we've gotten not all of us have easy A's in life Y/N."

Perhaps I'm looking too far into what she'd said but a huge part of me tells me that the last section was aimed at me. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Y/N I know." She says sternly.

I go to talk, to defend myself or even question why she'd hire me if she knew what I believe she's implying she knows but I'm not dumb enough to blurt it out myself before I hear what she has to say.

"I hired you because your grades, right from the beginning have been exceptional, you showed confidence in yourself and I appreciated that and nothing we say in this car right now will change your job status but common Y/N." She raises her eyebrow.