18* Two Can Play The Game

Dedicated to tahsia-are, you've been here forever and I love you so much.

And to all my active readers, you guys are always fuelling me with so much energy. Thank you and I love you so so much, every single one of you.

NADIA SULAIMAN

The first person that saw me was surprised. Her eyes met mine and I saw how her expression changed from excitement to surprise. She was in the middle of saying something to her friend when her eyes flicked over to where I sat and I watched as the excitement in her eyes started to dwindle and it kept dwindling till there was no excitement in her eyes again except surprise.

She was pleasantly surprised and she looked at me with eyes that seemed to say, 'What is this girl?' and it wasn't in the usual Nadia Sulaiman is a bitch manner but rather, in a pleasant How can this girl be this awesome manner.

And as if to buttress my observation, she smiled pleasantly at me before she walked out.

That didn't look like the reaction I was hoping for at all.

The second person was shocked. She was pressing her phone when she entered and right in the middle of making her way towards the counter, her head turned towards where I was sitting and she looked at me, kept looking at me as if I had grown a few more heads before she looked at her phone, then at me again, then at her phone again.

She repeated that like four times.

Then she turned back and she walked out without even doing what she must have come here initially to do.

That didn't look like the reaction I was hoping for too but at least, it was better than the first one.

The third person walked in looking like she had a lot on her mind. She looked disturbed as if there was a huge turmoil going on within her. It was a Monday midday and she didn't look like it. She was dressed in a jumper and an oversized tee that seemed to have swallowed her entire frame.

That wasn't even it.

There was a bonnet on her head and something that looked so much like bathroom slippers on her feet.

It was a little bit suspicious that she was dressed like that on a Monday midday and she looked so lost that even when she walked up to the counter and the girl behind it asked for her orders, she just kept looking at the girl while looking completely lost.

The girl had to repeat her question, louder this time around than everyone around heard and that was virtually only me because it was Monday and people had other things to do than to sit around and sip coffee.

The girl finally placed her orders and I watched as she collected what looked like Spring Rolls and a Smoothie after making her payment. She turned back and started to walk out only for her eyes to flick over to where I sat.

And she stopped short in her tracks.

She kept staring at me and I also kept staring at her, kept staring at her as her hold tightened around the takeaway nylon in her hand while her eyes kept boring holes into mine.