Chapter Thirty Five

Raia and Raiden lunges at the Blood Demon

Raia and Raiden lunges at the Blood Demon. Still laughing, Tallulah throws her wooden sword and jumps, landing on top of Raiden's head. Before he even has time to react, the grinning Blood Demon slams her foot into his face.

Raiden catches his breath in a startled gasp of pain. As he falls backward, Raia catches a glimpse of his bleeding nose.

Sensing a threat approaching from behind her, Raia twists her body, and the spinning wooden sword breezes past her. She drops into a middle stance, anticipating the wooden sword to return to her, but it doesn't.

The spinning sword shifts its aim to Sunshine, who lets out a surprised yelp as its pommel smacks her square in the back. She crouches on the ground, clutching her shoulder.

The wooden sword reverses direction and returns to the Blood Demon's grasp. Raia releases the power of her Blessing and swings it sideways. A flame erupts from the blade, heading straight for Tallulah. The demon leaps backward and extinguishes the flame with a slash of her wooden sword.

Nathan lets out a roar and leaps at the demon, swinging his fist.

Tallulah dodges, then she attacks him with a high downward slash.

Nathan leaps out of the way and performs a series of front flips until he reaches the spear pierced in the wall and pulls it out. His face lights up as he spins his weapon and pounces on Tallulah once more. Dull metallic clanks fill the air as the spear and the wooden sword collide again and again.

Raia shoots Sunshine a knowing look as she prepares to strike.

The Blood Demon is faster than them, faster than Nathan and Sunshine. So they'll need Sunshine's Blessing to slow her down, which should be possible once her arrows have injured her enough to taste her blood. Once her speed is reduced, they will have a greater advantage in defeating her.

Raiden appears beside Raia, and the two of them exchange glances before charging toward the demon.

Sunshine, who is standing on the altar, shoots three arrows of light.

Tallulah notices the approaching threats and leaps out of Nathan's reach. The wooden sword vanishes from view, and she spreads her arms wide. A tangle of faint threads appears in front of her, resembling spiderwebs and emanating from her fingertips.

Raia and Raiden halt their momentum, a deep frown on their faces. The three gleaming arrows collide with the threads and disintegrate into light particles. The silver strings glow with a faint, ghostly light before slackening and falling to the ground.

Nathan snorts, his gaze lingering on the fallen threads, which are now slowly disintegrating. "So your Curse is manipulating threads, huh? I guess you're a spider?" He lowers his stance and grips the shaft of his spear. "Release thyself, Vlad!"

Tallulah's face flushes, as if insulted. "I'm not a spider!" The wooden sword reappears for a second time. She leaps into the air and throws her weapon. At the same time, she thrusts her arm out.