Chapter 50

Josh got to the door before me. He actually crashed into the metal gate, squishing his face between the bars, screaming, "secret password," while shaking the bars, like a monkey trying to break free of his cage.

"You sound just like my brother," Lexi told him, unaffected.

By then, I'd reach the door too, and I was trying to pull my best friend away.

Josh was just swatting my hands, ignoring me, and told Lexi, "Just answer."

I kept pulling at Josh and managed to throw him on the ground then, while Lexi laughed at us and said, "I don't know. Go to hell?"

"WRONG," Josh loudly announced, making me flinch.

Lexi sighed, not impressed. "Just let me in."

Josh wriggled out of my hold, and crawled back to the gate, sticking his face between the bars. "Maybe a kiss for passage?"

"Damn it Josh. Get out of the way," I said, annoyed, and opened the lock, while simultaneously pushing Josh just for good measure.

Lexi just laughed at out antics.

I had almost kissed her...

Okay, I really needed to not think about that if I wanted to be coherent while spending time with her now.

"Sorry about Josh, he doesn't get a lot of company," I told Lexi as she stepped inside.

"Shut up man. I have a social life. And just a little side note, this is my place, I'm the one who sets the open the gate rules, and you Saskia, need to pay me," Josh rambled.

Strike one. He had two more and he was going to be Miss Puss' lunch. He should be threading lightly.

I assumed Lexi wouldn't necessarily make the right connection though. Most people didn't associate Saskia with Rembrandt automatically, and didn't know about his obsession of adding her in all his paintings.

I still punched Josh in the stomach though, just to satisfy my need for his blood right now.

"Why do you always screw up my name?" Lexi asked with a sigh, annoyed.

"Again, don't listen to anything Josh says, he's a crack baby," I told her and made sure to stand between her and Josh.

I wasn't going to leave anything to chance.

Josh was a ticking bomb.

"You know, I think it's beneficial for her personal culture to know about Saskia, man," Josh told me and then stared at Lexi, "Want to hear a nice story about an obsessive Rembrandt?"

Strike two.

I would probably need a meat grinder. I was sure Miss Puss would appreciate it.

"I don't want to know?" Lexi asked me, like she knew I was freaking out inside.

This was definitely not how I wanted Lexi to learn I liked her.

The problem though was that I actually had no idea how I really wanted to tell her.

How were you supposed to tell someone you'd been in love with them for years? I would sound like a creep however I would tell her.

How was I supposed to tell her without freaking her out?

Was I even allowed to have her take it well? Wouldn't it be better for her to run the other way if she learned about my obsession?

Anyone would be entirely to be freaked out.