Keeper Of Secrets

I stirred in my sleep and the movement of my body caused dull ache through my body and I let out a tiny moan. I felt like I had been out all night drinking and I had a terrible hangover now. I did note that I was laying down on something soft which I assumed was my bed but I couldn’t remember getting into my bed. In fact I couldn’t remember much of last night after meeting Rose and Harvey it all seemed to be a blur in my mind. I feel a throb of pain go through my head as I try to remember how I had come to be in my bed. I groan to myself as I slowly open my eyes. I blink a couple times as my eyes adjust to the sunlight streaming in through the window. 

I hear movement near the edge of my bed and I look quickly to see Jane curled up in a chair. I stare at her in confusion wondering why she is sleeping in a chair at the foot of my bed. When I try to sit up I let out a loud moan before I fall back into the mattress the ache in my body turning into a small burning sensation. That seemed enough to rouse Jane from her sleep. She blinked a couple times as if trying to remember where she was and then he body jolted upright as she took note of me on the bed, “Oh your awake Lun—Scarlett.” She proclaims almost as if she believed I would never wake up. 

I give her a weird look as the fire in my body slowly dulls, “Yeah, that’s usually something people do when they sleep. I’m more curious about why your camped out at the foot of my bed…” 

“Right!” She says in a serious tone like a soldier, “I was told by Alpha Noah to watch over you until you woke up and when you woke up I was supposed to give you these—“ I watch her reaching into the pocket of her jeans and fished around, “Oh wait, wrong pocket…”She says more to herself and switches her hand to the other pocket, “Here we are—“ She pulls out two blue tablets and holds them out towards me. I hesitantly open my hand and let her drop them into my palm. I look at them, “What are these? Tylenol?” 

“I’m not sure—Alpha got them from the pack doctor.” She shrugs. 

I look at them for another moment before I open my mouth and throw them in swallowing quickly. I would give anything to relieve the feeling in my body, which was beginning to grow increasingly uncomfortable and hot by the moment. I let out a sigh. 

“Can I ask question?” Jane asks. 

“You just did.” I comment back as I close my eyes against the throbbing in my head. She grows quiet and I let out a sigh clearly people around here had no understanding of sarcasm, “What’s your question Jane?” 

“Is it incredibly painful to be marked?” She sounds like a girl asking if it hurts to lose your virginity. I chuckle, “I wouldn’t—“ I feel my good humor quickly dissipate and my eyes popped open. I looked towards Jane who was looking down at me expectantly waiting for a reply. I swallow hard against the onslaught of emotions that ripped through me. Memories of last night racing through my brain. I move my hand to my neck and shakily touch the spot and I wince at the tenderness. 

NOAH! I growl loud in my head knowing he could hear me. You marked me?! How could you? He didn’t respond to me but I knew he had heard me loud and clear. I was going to kill him the next time I saw him. 

“I’m sorry. If it’s too personal—just pretend I didn’t ask.” She says shyly shaking her head. I look back to her breathing in slowly trying to calm myself down, “Why do you want to know?” I ask trying to turn the conversation away from things that would upset me. She tucks some of her hair behind her ear, “It’s just I found my mate—he doesn’t know yet cause I’ve been hiding from him. It’s just that I am afraid…”