Chapter 50

When Ben calls me to sign me out for the weekend, I don't refuse. Gladys accepts, and signs the form without hesitation. She doesn't look me in the eyes, but pity is written all over her face.

I feel bad for not seeing Ben for so long. I've missed him so much.

When I get to the Nine Lives Saturday afternoon, I give him a much-needed hug. We go upstairs to his sound-proof apartment, while the late afternoon alcoholics get their fix downstairs.

I start crying straight away, explaining what happened with Alyssa.

"Why don't you just talk to her? Maybe there's a misunderstanding," Ben says, looking for silver-lining.

"No, Ben, she's wanted me out of this competition for years. Now she's finally got it," I groan, yelling into the pillow on my lap. "And the senior camping trip – not that I cared much about that anyway."

Ben spreads out on his couch, "I know you must feel hopeless right now, but the truth will come out."

"How?"

"Trick her into admitting it."

"What good will that do?"

"Nothing, unless you catch in on film," he winks.

I smack his hand playfully, "Ben! You're a genius!"

"I know," he smiles bashfully.

He goes to his kitchen and starts making us some two minute noodles. I've missed hanging out with him. "Do you think I can move in with you once I finish school?" I say, but I already know the answer.

"Where else would you live?" he smiles again.

"How are you feeling now, without Marina?"

He sighs. "Look, it's been tough."

I look down at my hands, "you're tough."

"I know," he says again, "but it's tough in a way different to how I expected. It made me realise how lonely I am."

"You always have me," I say, "you and me against the world, right?"

"I can't rely on my little sister for everything," he says with a chuckle, "besides, you have enough problems."

I get a text from Perry that her and Acacia, as well as thirty other students (with fake ID's provided by yours truly) are coming down to the Nine Lives for the concert tonight.

"Is there a concert on tonight?" I ask Ben.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it. I figured you wouldn't mind if I had to leave to play a few sets later? We also have a band coming in from Newhaven."

"I don't mind," I say with a smile.

Doom settles over me when I remember that Callum is part of that band. Musical hockey player. What a combo.

Ben and I set up the Wii and start playing Mario Cart. Somehow, we end up falling asleep on opposite couches, after hours of hardcore game play.

.

.

.

Someone knocks on the door, waking me up. They barge in, dumping an overnight bag on the counter.

"Oh hey," he says lazily.

I recognise his voice before his cologne drifts over to me. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm having a sleepover too, is that ok?"

"No!" I scream whisper, not wanting to wake up Ben. "Avoidance is meant to be a team effort. I'm the only one pulling my weight here."