xlvi. apparently, doing stupid things is back in fashion

chapter forty-six

─── apparently, doing stupid things is back in fashion

[ Luke ]

          𝕭y the time I had returned to where I had left Andi, she wasn't there. If there was one thing I'd learnt after dating her for a year, it was that if Andi was not in the place that you had left her, she was causing trouble elsewhere. 

So, I was worried.

Thalia and Annabeth stood behind me, looking around as Grover paced, before he stopped and looked up at me.

"Uh, Luke, I got something," I turned to him, cocking an eyebrow. "I think it's from Romy."

"What did she say?"

"Spike wielding maniac, taken to a clearing, got stabbed, think he's a prickly fellow," I rubbed my eyes, trying not to drum my fingers as my anxiety began to build. "She's now laughing at her joke so she might be delirious."

"No, that's just Andi," I muttered, knowing what my girlfriend was like, before spotting an open door. "Okay, come on. Let's go!"

Pulling Backbiter from it's sheath, I sprinted out of the door, looking for any signs of Andi. Sure enough, she was leaving the shiny buttons from her coat for me to find. Much like most children of Hermes, I had a proclivity for shiny objects.

Skidding down the snowy slope, I looked behind me for Annabeth.

"Annie! Attack plan C!" She nodded, pulling her cap from her pocket. Grover disappeared to my right, and I assumed Annabeth went left to reach Andi and the di Angelos. "Thalia, stay with me."

"Yeah right," She scoffed.

"Thalia!" I hissed, turning around to glare at her. "There are people's lives at stake. Do what I ask you." She looked shocked that I had reprimanded her, eyes widening, before nodding. "Thank you."

We came to a clearing, where I could see Andi standing in front of the di Angelo siblings. They looked tiny behind her, shivering with fear, as I winced at the sight of blood running down Andi's hand, my breath hitching in my throat. She looked far too pale.

There was a pause, before a force barrelled into them, ploughing the trio down. It gave us enough time to advance on Dr. Thorn, who's volley of missiles whistled over the edge of the cliff.

Thalia moved in with her spear. "For Zeus!"

Thalia jabbed at his head, but he snarled and swatted the spear aside. His hand changed into an orange paw, with enormous claws that sparked against Thalia's shield as he slashed. If it hadn't been for Aegis, Thalia would've been sliced like a loaf of bread. As it was, she managed to roll backward and land on her feet.