Part 58

Having to go and see Scarlet isn't Conrad's idea of fun, but she guesses that it has to be done eventually.

Carlos dropped her off outside the cell building, and she reluctantly stares up at the top of the building. It's a towering structure, and Conrad thinks there might be over forty floors - she can't remember what Carlos had told her.

She gets her identification badge out before she even gets to the door, clinging to it nervously as she pushes the door open.

Carlos is on his way to court with Scarlet so that he can make sure his mother stays in prison for a while longer. He doesn't have enough evidence, and they both know it, but he's hoping for a miracle, as is Conrad.

Conrad makes it to the elevator before anyone even asks for ID, which surprises her a little. This is supposed to be one of the most secure buildings in the area, but if she had tried, she probably could have made it into the elevator with no problems.

It's cold in the lift, and she finds herself withdrawing into her jacket a little more. It took her way longer than usual to get dressed this morning because her clothes suddenly seem a lot tighter. It led to her bursting into tears surrounded by jeans in their bedroom, and a very concerned Carlos had thought she was hurt.

She wanted to conceal the bump for as long as she possibly could, especially from Scarlet. The way she had acted around Atlas' children had freaked her out a little bit, so Conrad has no intention of revealing this secret to the woman who tried to kill her.

It didn't take a rocket science to guess the two incidents were probably related and that Scarlet was probably involved with whoever tried to hurt Carlos. Scarlet knowing about the pregnancy would put Conrad at an even more significant risk.

Once she gets to the correct floor, a guard is waiting for her as the doors open.

"Beta Rosser, I'm here to escort you to the prisoner you requested an interview with. She's in the review room," the man informs her, offering his arm to Conrad.

She smiles at him but doesn't take his arm, letting him lead her to the first door on the corridor.

"Good luck. We're going to be watching from here. The second she does anything, or even tries anything, we will all be in there," he explains.

Conrad nods silently, walking into the room.

Scarlet looks haggard as she looks up from the metal table.

She tries to stand up, but her hips are chained to the chair she's sitting on.

Her hair looks almost grey, and her skin is a similar shade.

The orange really does nothing for her, Jane scoffs.

"I didn't expect you to visit," Scarlet comments.

She seems to be trying to keep a straight face, but Conrad can smell her nervousness before sitting down.

"Well, you tried to kill me," Conrad mumbles, tucking her hair behind her ear as she stares across the table.

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would have the balls to come and see me," Scarlet shrugs.

Conrad doesn't reply.

She partially isn't bothered, but she's also trying to focus on making sure her scent is hidden. Some exceptionally gifted trackers are able to smell pregnancy hormones, but she isn't sure if Scarlet can. It's better safe than sorry.

"So, why are you here? I'm not going to give you any answers, so you're wasting your time," Scarlet scoffs. She tries to act nonchalant by examining her nails, but it fails. She lifted her hand toward her face, but she's shaking and ended up hitting herself.