Chapter 13

My birthday was shit. Not surprised though. Kate tried to cheer me up after I told her about my father calling me. I didn't tell her the specifics of the conversation, but she knew that it wasn't a good one.

It's the next day and people are already leaving for river week. River week is a tradition in this town. To where all the college kids go to the river for the week to get hammered and have sex and shit. I'm not that interested in going, but I know Kate is though. I told her that she can go and that I'll be fine, but she refuses. She's too good of a friend. I sometimes feel bad that I don't tell her the whole story about my dad and ex, but it's just too hard to talk about it. I'll tell her one day.

We're both curled up in her bed watching something on her computer when her phone beeps for the tenth time in the last 20 minutes.

"Maybe you should check who it is." I tell her while still watching the screen.

She huffs. "I know who it is and I don't feel like answering."

"Adam?" I murmur.

"Yup" She pops the 'p'.

"Apparently someone told him that I was with another guy at the club. I don't know why he fucking cares. He's the one who fucking cheated on me numerous times." She stiffens next to me and clenches her fists out of anger.

I sit up and stare at her. "I will beat his ass. All you have to do is just say the word."

She laughs. "Thank you Mia, but I think I got this. I want to be the one who cuts off his balls and shoves them down his throat." She smiles at me.

"God you're scary." Now I'm the one laughing.

We hear a knock at the door and I turn to Kate confused and she does the same to me.

"Are you expecting anyone?" I question as I start to get up from the bed and walk to the door.

"No" she answers quizzically.

"Who is it?" I shout at the door.

"House Keeping!" I hear a shrieky woman voice. Definitely from a man.

I open the door and furrow my brows when I see who it is.

"Stefano?"

"Hey there, is my beautiful flower in there with you?" He's leaning against the door smiling at me.

I turn to Kate and see her shaking her head. I turn back to Stefano and smile. "You just missed her. Try again tomorrow maybe." As I go to close the door, he blocks it with his foot.

"Are you lying to me Mia?" He says almost amused.

"Lying is a sin and I tend to keep my sinister side at bay." I try to close the door again but he just pushes it open and barges in.

"Dude!" I yell at him.

He turns to Kate and smirks while she rolls her eyes. "Hello beautiful. Avoiding me now are we, flower?"

Kate shrugs and lays down completely on the bed. "I've been busy jack ass. Maybe come over again tomorrow around half past never."

"God I love it when you're mean to me. I gets me so hard." He winks at her.

I look between Kate and Stefano several times.

"Uh....should I go or...?" I say as I slowly start walking to the door.

"No"

"Yes."

They both say at the same time. "Um. Okay, I'm just gonna go grab a coffee. I'll be back in about an hour." Stefano gives me a 'come on' look and I sigh and say "Okay fine, two hours." And then I dip out of the room.