twenty eight

Boys and flowers

It's been a week since Luis Pierce and i broke up.

Apparently he left school early on thursday. He wasn't in on Friday, Monday or today.

I don't care. It doesn't concern me anymore. But for some reason, i'm parked outside his house right now at 9pm.

I'm not sure what i'm doing here. Or why i've been sat outside gate for twenty minutes trying to build up the courage to press on the buzzer.

Swallowing the little pride i have left, i press the little button. There's muffled rustles on the other side of the intercom for a moment.

"We aren't taking visitor's at the moment."

"Lay?" i say.

"Dev? Thank god, i'll let you in now." she sighs.

I pull into the driveway. The front door is already open by the time i get out the car.

Something about the house is off. It's... dark.

"Hey Lay." i smile as i walk over to her.

"Hi Dev." she gives me a sad smile.

"Uh, i was just wondering if Luis is alright. He hasn't been in for a couple days." i pull on my sleeve.

Layton frowns a little.

"He didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?" i look between her eyes.

"Grams passed away last Thursday."

My heart drops as the words leave her lips. My eyes brim with tears and i lean forward, pulling her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry Lay." i say into her hair.

"I'm okay. My brother isnt though."

I pull away from her.

"Where is he?"

"He's locked himself in his bedroom. He's been in there since our parents told us. He won't open it to anyone."

I nod, kicking my shoes off and running up the stairs, taking two at a time. By the time i reach Luis' floor im profusely out of breath.

I take a moment, panting, before knocking on the door.

No answer.

"Luis?" i say quietly.

Still no answer.

"Luis it's me." i lean my head against the door.

"Devyn?" i hear him from the other side. His voice is quiet, hoarse.

"Yes, yes it's Devyn."

There's a brief moment of silence before i hear the door unlock. I quickly push it open and my heart breaks at the sight in front of me.