Chapter 20

Home.

She only knew the true meaning of the word when she became one of the Avengers. Only with them did she know how dangerous it was to have someone you cared so much about. Despite all the disagreements, they liked each other. Natasha never thought Fury's plan would really work out, and what's more, that everyone would get so close. Not only did she find her family, her best friends, but she also found the love of her life. Her beloved Bruce, who had been given so many opportunities to leave. He knew in part who Natasha really was, but he stayed. She was so grateful for him, but the thought constantly raced through her mind, that he could gather and leave any day because he would be afraid of her. She couldn't turn it off, over the years she had come to terms with the fact that people like her just didn't have a happy ending with someone who they love. Bruce didn't leave, but there was still if. And that was ruining her happiness a little.

She remembered the last night they'd spent with Pepper and Tony. The next morning, they were to begin moving into their own apartment, which was ready to live in. They refused to let the Avengers help them with the boxes, they wanted to do it with Bruce themselves to make them feel like it was really happening, that this was really just their apartment. There were only a few days left until Christmas, but Nat knew that would be enough to settle them and possibly prepare Christmas decorations. She told the possible because she wasn't sure if she would get any Christmas decorations. She wasn't very good at it, and she knew Bruce wasn't, either. When they weren't part of the Avengers, neither of them celebrated Christmas much — Natasha's last ones were with Alexi, and when they lived with the Starks, Pepper and Peter always took care of all the decorations and other necessities.

That morning before the moving itself, Peter almost said goodbye to them with tears in his eyes. He was really unhappy that they were moving away, and although he wanted them to be happy, of course, he somehow couldn't accept that there would be such peace and quiet at home. Of course, the two of them vehemently assured him that they would go to see them as often as possible, and that calmed Peter a little. Then he hugged them both tightly and told them he would miss them so much. Natasha would lie if she said she wasn't touched. Sure, she was often a cynical ice queen, but the boy just made miracles with her. And so with Bruce.

"Well, that's the last one," Bruce hissed as he really opened the last box. Natasha stood in the small living room, scanning the room with her hands folded across her chest. Bruce smiled when he saw her. "What, you don't like something? Are we redoing it?"

"No, I just..." She shook her head and wrapped her arms around her torso. "Is it very strange, don't you think? That it's just the two of us, together, we have peace and privacy. It's not as lively as at the Starks'. Star Wars music from Peter's room, Pepper's singing in the kitchen while cooking, noise from the workshop..." she paused. Was she getting sentimental?

"Well, we've come a long way. Each separately and together," Bruce said in a strange voice, leaving the box and baubles inside and walking over to her. "You miss them, don't you?" She looked at him, didn't answer for a moment. But then she nodded. "I know. Me too. It's different, of course. But I think it's beautiful," he told her softly. Natasha had to agree with him, but she probably still looked a little sad because Bruce hugged her and pulled her to his chest. "I'm sorry, I'm sweaty. But I think someone needs comfort here," he whispered in her ear, beaming as Natasha laughed and rolled even closer. At such moments, he was constantly surprised at how lucky he was to have a woman like her by his side. Sometimes it was so hard to believe. After all, he was just a scientist, and she was a beautiful, fearless superhero. He had to admit that until they moved, he didn't really believe it would happen. He was still afraid something would go wrong. That something would interrupt them. That Nat would come and tell him that she had decided otherwise, that she didn't feel like she wanted it... that she didn't want him anymore. But look, they were here. And Bruce was happy.

"It is horrible. What did they do to me? I've never been like that," Natasha growled, as if angry with herself as she huddled in his arms. If Tony was here, she probably wouldn't allow herself like that, because she knew he would tease her for the rest of her life, and she really didn't want that. Sometimes it was safer to keep emotions under wraps. And sometimes... sometimes it did a lot of damage.

"Yeah, you just care about them," Bruce laughed contentedly, then pulled away from her a little. "I like that," he tugged at her braid. "Will you wear it more often?"

"Okay, but only at home if you like it so much," Nat replied with a smirk. "If I showed in front of others like that, I'd lose all respect I have."

"Don't exaggerate," Bruce shook his head in amusement. "So? Let's go to the last box, get it done and we can throw our feet up?"

Natasha sighed. "I guess we should do that, shouldn't we? But I don't want to at all. Is there something important in it? Can't we just hide it in the closet and throw our feet up right now? We deserve a quiet moment, after all. And I want to spend time with my boyfriend."

"You'll always spend time with me now when no one but me is here," he laughed. "But wow, you're really in a loving mood today. I guess I should take advantage of that, right?"

"Well, you should before I change my mind," she teased, clasping her hands in his chest and throwing him on the couch. He laughed again, but Nat sat on his lap, wrapped her arms around his neck, and began to kiss him. No Avengers, no saving the world. No Alexi, no Betty. Now it was just the two of them. And it will be forever this way.

"Nat," he whispered against her lips, and as she pulled away, he leaned his forehead against hers. "Are you happy?"

She smiled and stroked his clean-shaven face. "I am."