Chapter 26

NAPAATRAS SI Sunset nang makitang nasa sala si Death kasama ang kakambal ni Ruckus at ang asawa nito.

So, it was they who rang the bell.

Sunset sighed, retreating back to the dirty kitchen to hide from the unexpected guests. Letting Death handle them.

Naupo siya sa stool sa tabi ng counter at tumanaw sa labas ng glass wall.

It makes her sad that she will never be received by Ruckus' family. In time whatever she and Ruckus have will end. No relatives will ever want her to be part of their family— with her life trails so dark and selfish? She doubts it.

Ruckus is a fool to even thought of liking her and he's a total bonehead if he loves her.

It pickles her heart but she's not going to think otherwise and make herself believe that someday, a good family will want her. That a functioning and good family like what Ruckus have will want her to be part of their lives.

Maybe Death loves her but she doubts if he'll still love her if she tells him everything about her. How selfish she was. How many lives did she let down.

Ipinikit-pikit ni Sunset ang mata ng maramdaman ang pamamasa niyon saka lalabas sana para sa garden magpalipas ng oras habang nasa bahay pa ang kakambal ni Ruckus nang bumukas ang pintuan papasok ng dirty kitchen.

Sunset's eyes became cold and the emotions deserted her eyes the moment she saw the woman who is at the door, gaping at her in disbelief, shock, relief, and sorrow.

"Y-you..." Napahawak ito sa dibdib nito at sa hamba ng pinto habang hindi makapaniwalang nakatingin sa kanya.

Sunset badly wants to turn around and left. But with the look the woman has on her face, Sunset is certain she'll try her best to follow her. And she doesn't want that. The last thing she wants is to scurry away with a postpartum mother following her behind.

Tilting her head to the left with one of the corners of her lips tugging up into a cold smirk, she asked flatly, "How are you... Kale? And please, close the door if you want to talk with me."

Tuliro itong sumunod saka umiiyak na lumapit sa kanya at walang anong mahigpit siyang niyakap.

Sunset didn't move to respond, she stayed still. Keeping herself cold around the woman. Like how she was around her in the Orasis mansion.

"It's you..." Umiiyak na saad nito habang hawak ang dalawang braso niya at tinitititigan siya. "I-I'm so glad you're alive—"

"A person as odious as I, take a considerable amount of bad luck to die, Kale." Putol niya dito.

Malungkot itong ngumiti. "You're not bad. You helped me out. Without your help, I would have been long dead by now. You freed me from those shackles—"

"But let the other die." Tumayo siya sa kinauupuan at lumayo siya sa babae saka naglakad palapit sa glass wall at tumingin sa labas habang inaalala ang gabing tinulungan niya ang babaeng makalaya at makatakas mula sa kamay ng ama niya.

"Don't treat me like I'm an angel sent to save you, Kale, because I am far from that when I let the others die."

"I know..." Mahinang bulong nito at tumabi sa kanya. "But that doesn't change the fact that you were one of the reasons why I'm free and alive."

"Dusk was the one who saved you and freed you, Kale—"

"Please don't push it. We both know that if you didn't unlock the shackles I will not get out of that room where René was keeping me as a prisoner, waiting for my time to be tortured, abused, and eventually killed slowly..."