Chapter 3: Bedtime Story (part 1)

"Someone pinch me

"Someone pinch me." Jihyung whispered as the six children sat there, across from the two people they would only hear in bedtime stories from their parents. "They can't be there. They can't be right there. This is all a dream, I'm dreaming, right- OW!"

Minsun watched as Grace and Jungwoo giggled as Jihyung gave Jingsi the dirtiest look possible. The girl simply shrugged. "What? You asked me to pinch you so I did."

Jihyung shook his head as the attention soon returned to the two adults of the room. Minsun decided to be the one that broke the silence, speaking first. "So you two, you're really here. Alive. And present. In flesh. In Orenda."

"Apparently." Grace answered, giving Jungwoo a look and taking his arm before turning back to the rest of them. "It's the power of the door."

"The door." Woooyoung mumbled from one side. "Do you know a lot about it? It seems like just a fable to me, it's hard to believe that it's all true."

"Oh it's real alright." Jungwoo said with a light chuckle. "We wouldn't be here without it."

"If you don't mind me asking." Hua said, raising her hand. "But what exactly happened when you died?"

"You can't just ask that." Xun hissed, making Hua flinch.

"No, it's fine." Grace reassured them. "I'm sure you all have plenty of questions and although there isn't a large amount of time, we should address as many as you could."

Jungwoo nodded in agreement, adjusting his position before sliding his arm around the girl beside her. "To address your question though, when a person dies, whether they head to the dimension of the dead or not depends on their vare. If their loved ones protect their vare like ours did, they will travel to the dimension of the dead, where Grace, me, and many others were. If your vare is destroyed, then your soul is gone too, and there's no chance of moving through the doors again."

"That's why our parents say it's so important to protect the vares of the dead." Jihyung gasped in realization.

"Exactly." Grace said before continuing. "In the dimension of the dead, it's quite peaceful actually. You're permitted to continue as you please, do whatever you want. You can only see whoever you allow to see, and ward away any souls that you want to avoid."

"So you two were reunited?" Minsun asked, staring at the two. They both nodded their heads, small smiles on their faces.

"Our peace didn't last very long though." Grace said, her eyes beginning to darken as a long sigh escaped Jungwoo's lips. "I was simply enjoying my afternoon when Haesoo found me and told me that the door had been opened."

"The door?" Wooyoung mumbled to himself before figuring out what they meant. "The door!"

"Yes, creatures and people have been slipping back to Orenda through the door. The only ones that are still on the otherside are the ones that are too peaceful to come back or those whose vares have been claimed by others."