Chapter 4: Reunited (part 1)

"Your father is inside his study

"Your father is inside his study." The servant told Minsun once they arrived at the central castle. "And the Queen is in their bedroom."

"Looks like they're fighting again." Jihyung mumbled, moving past the servant. The others had returned to their own home realms, minus Jingsi whose family was staying in Aria so the girl joined Hua. The group had shrunk significantly, however, with the two newest additions with Minsun and Jihyung, she felt like the gap would be filled.

Minsun noticed the servant staring at Grace and Jungwoo and quickly brought them inside before they realized who they really were. They moved down the halls, twisting and turning until they neared the doors of Mark's study.

"Wait." Jungwoo called out, stopping the group. "Is it alright if I wait out here. I feel like we might overwhelm him if we all go in at once."

"I agree." Grace said, nodding her head. "Minsun, you go in first. I'll go in when he's ready."

Minsun looked over at the two before turning back to the door to her father's study. "Okay."

Minsun lifted her hand to the door, giving it a knock. She heard her father's voice on the other side and noticed Jungwoo give Grace's hand a tight squeeze.

Here goes nothing, Minsun thought before opening the door to Mark's study.

...

She's dead, Mark thought, staring blankly at the empty desk in front of him. She's dead and her vare is destroyed. Her soul is gone and there's nothing we can do even if we tried.

A sudden knock pulled Mark out of his thoughts and he turned his head, wondering who it could be. "Come in."

The door opened to reveal his daughter and Mark couldn't be more relieved. He stood up, meeting Minsun half way.

"Dad, I'm- oof." Mark pulled his daughter into a tight hug, burying her face into his chest. "Dad, I can't breathe."

"I'm sorry." Mark chuckled, loosening his grip. "I'm just so glad that you're safe, I was worried about you."

"You were?" Minsun said, looking up at him with wide round eyes. "That's a change."

"I'm always worried about you." Mark said, gently ruffling Minsun's hair, much to her displeasure. "Every time you or your brother leave the castle, I always think about whether you'll be safe or not. It's even worse with the monsters appearing throughout Orenda. I've lost too many people in my life and I don't want my children to be on that list."

"Um, about that." Minsun mumbled, nervously running her fingers through her hair. "Dad, I couldn't close the doors. We didn't have everything we needed."

"That's alright." Mark said, giving Minsun a reassuring smile. When she continued to avoid his eyes though, he couldn't help but wonder why. "Is there more? You know you can tell me anything, right?"