I 33 I

☂ as the world caves in ☂ 

'You know who Harold Jenkins is?' Five looks taken aback. 

I nod. 'Actually, I met him.' 

'What?' They chorus. 

'Yeah, I snuck out during one of your missions to meet Vanya, but she wasn't there,' I explain. 'When I went outside, there was a random boy hiding in the bushes. He said his name was Harold Jenkins.' 

Five frowns. 'What did he look like?' 

I shrug. 'Kinda small. Brown hair.' I snap my fingers. 'Oh, he was wearing an Umbrella Academy uniform. Said he was a big fan.' 

'Wait,' Alison says. 'I remember that kid.'

'Me too,' Luther adds, staring into the distance. 'He came to the parade, and told Dad he was one of us.' 

I whistle. 'Bet that didn't go over well.' 

'It didn't,' Alison says. 'Seeing as he killed his Dad the next year.' 

'He did what?' I gasp. 

'Murdered him with a hammer,' Five cracks his knuckles. 'I saw that news story.' 

'So, where is he now?' Klaus asks. 

I steal someone's phone from the counter, unlocking it quickly. 

'Hey, that's mine,' Alison complains. 

'I'm just checking something,' I type in Harold Jenkins. 'Yep, I found the article. He was sent to prison for a really long time, but he's out now. He changed his name too.' 

'What's his name now?' Diego asks. 

I glance up from the phone. 'Leonard Peabody.' 

'Wait, what?' Alison snatches the phone from me. 'Leonard Peabody?' 

'That's what I said,' I trail off. 'Why?' 

'That's Vanya's boyfriend,' She says. 'We need to go, now.' 

'Hang on, hang on,' Luther holds his hands up. 'I mean, how exactly do you know all of this about what's his name? Can we be sure that he's the one who causes the apocalypse?' 

'Harold Jenkins. You know those lunatics in masks who attacked the house?' Five reminds us. 

'Oh, yeah, I think I remember those guys.' Klaus says. 

'Yeah, the ones that attacked us while you were getting drunk.' Diego shoulders him. 

'Yeah. Them.' Five says. 'They were sent by the Temps Commission to stop me from coming back and preventing the end of life on Earth.'

'The Temps what?' Alison echoes. 

'My former employer.' Five says with an edge of impatience. 'They monitor all of time and space to make sure that whatever is supposed to happen... happens. They believe the apocalypse is coming in three days. So I went to Commission headquarters and intercepted a message that was meant for said lunatics. "Protect Harold Jenkins." So he must be responsible for the apocalypse.'

There's a long silence. 

'What do you mean, protect time and space?' Alison jumps in. 

'Where is this Hazel, Five?' Diego mutters. 

'I'm a bit hungry.' I say. 

'My skin is on fire.' Klaus groans. 

'Do you have any idea how insane this sounds?' Alison says. 

Five rolls his eyes, sighing. 'You know what else is insane? I look like a 16-year-old boy. Klaus talks to the dead, and Luther thinks he's fooling everybody with that overcoat.' Luther looks slightly offended at this. 'Everything about us is insane. It always has been.'

'He's got a point there.' Klaus says. 

'We didn't choose this life, we're just living it. For the next three days, anyway.' Five says. 

'But the last time we tried to stop it, we all died. Why is this time any different? Why shouldn't I go home to my daughter?' Alison says heatedly. 

'Because this time, I'm here.' Five says. 'We have the name of the man responsible.'

'Guys, we actually have the chance of saving the lives of billions of people. Including Claire.' Five says. 

'You know her name?'

'I do, and I'd like to live long enough to meet her.' For the first time, kind words actually come out of Five's mouth. 

'All right.' Alison nods finally. 'Let's get this bastard.'

'You had me at Gerald Jenkins.' Diego says. 

'Harold Jenkins.' I correct. 

'Whatever. I've already lost two people this week, I'm not losing anyone else.' He walks away. 

'And Luther?' Five turns to him. 

'Yeah, you go. I'm gonna stay and go through Dad's files. I still think this has something to do with why he sent me to the Moon.' Luther says. 

Dad sent me to the moon! 

Is that all he cares about?

'Seriously? Now you wanna make the end of the world about you and Dad?' Diego scoffs. 

'No. "Watch for threats." That's what he told me. You think that's a coincidence? This all has to be connected somehow.' Luther points out. 

'No, we should all stick together.' Alison says quietly. 

'We don't have time for this.' Five mutters. 

'Let's roll. I know where we can find this asshole. Klaus, you're with me.' 

Klaus looks up from the couch. 

'Yeah. I... I'm good.' He says weakly. 'I think I'll, uh...I think I'll pass, I'm...feeling a little under the weather, so, uh...' 

okay...?