Chapter 7

"I'm not a saint, and I make mistakes
But next to you I'm holy."
~ Counting Crimes by Nessa Barrett

......

Summer White

......

After the eventful morning, the exhaustion finally took over and I was able to get in a few hours of sleep. Once I woke up, Alice insisted we spend the day out. I wasn't in the mood, but I also know that it might be weeks before I get the chance to go outside again so I agreed.

It's around three pm and we're currently at the mall. We've been here for about an hour and I haven't bought anything, but Alice has. I'm not having as much fun as I thought I would considering my face is everywhere. All I see are newspapers, magazines and TVs with the same headlines: Captain's Daughter Seen With Kai Black. 

We get it. I fucking get it. Okay? I was with Kai Black and have somehow betrayed the whole fucking state. Makes no fucking sense to me, but people love propaganda so it's not like anyone would give me the benefit of the doubt.

A part of me knew that my face would be plastered everywhere and I even brought it up to Alice. We came to the consensus of wearing hoodies and sunglasses. It's a good thing we did because no one has recognized me yet. We've got a few stares, but they're not as intense as they would be if people actually recognized us so it doesn't bother me.

"I want ice cream," Alice says.

"Let's go to the food court. I'm down for some ice cream too."

"Yes!" her ocean eyes glow like a child's and she takes my hand directing me towards the food court. I'm actually not in the mood for ice cream, or food at that matter, but I'm getting bored of looking at clothes and their absurd pricing. "I want a blizzard."

"Okay, I'll get something from DQ too then," I tell her as we get in line. The mall is packed, but luckily there are only two people ahead of us. It gives me enough time to go over the menu and decide what I want.

"I think I'm gonna get the peanut butter cookie dough with brownie dough pieces," she shares. "What about you?"

"Um... I'll get a blizzard with brownie dough pieces and a little bit of cocoa fudge."

"Ooh, that sounds good." I smile, nodding.

"Can you believe it?" A man and woman get in line behind us with their two toddlers. "The Captain's daughter dating Kai Black."

"Babe, the police is corrupt. We've always known this," her husband responds.

"Yeah, but this is just outright ridiculous. They're not even trying to hide it anymore," she speaks, clearly frustrated and believing the lies the media has constructed.

"It's okay, babe. They don't hurt normal people."

"It's not. I think we should reconsider moving."

"Mommy, can I get the Oreo blizzard?"

"Yes, baby you can."

"Me too," his sister says.

"I can help whoever's next!"