15 | i love you

it's a little shorter than the other chapters by about a thousand words, but this is the natural end to the eclipse chapters. we'll be shifting into breaking dawn after this.

also, i'm getting ready to go back to school and have a lot to do + plus will be working literally every day for 2 weeks once i get there so updates may not come as quickly. please be understanding bc my job is very time consuming

hope you enjoy !

Valeria stood anxiously in the door of Carlisle's office as he hurriedly threw things into his medical bag

Valeria stood anxiously in the door of Carlisle's office as he hurriedly threw things into his medical bag. Her mind was racing with horrible images of Sam's mangled body, terrified of the condition Carlisle would find him in.

"Please let me know when Sam is alright," Valeria said in a quiet voice.

"You'll see for yourself," Carlisle told her, zipping up his bag. "Jared is allowing you to come with me."

Valeria was taken aback by the offer to cross the border, it going against everything the treaty stood for. Just allowing Carlisle was pushing it. She immediately shook her head. "No, I'm not allowed—"

"Valeria," he interrupted in a calm but urgent tone. "The longer I wait, the worse the rebreaking will be for him. Just follow me."

And so Valeria did follow him. Perhaps if she hadn't been so concerned about Sam, then she might have hesitated at the treaty line. The pair ran as fast as they could until Carlisle was stopping outside a small, red home.

The entire pack was gathered on the porch, including Billy Black and Sue Clearwater, and they all looked worried. Jared almost sighed in relief when he saw Carlisle, hoping that Sam wouldn't be in pain for too much longer.

"He's not getting any better," Jared told them. "I'll take you to his room, Doc."

Valeria was left standing there as Jared led Carlisle into the house. No one said anything for several moments, on edge from all that had happened and would happen. Finally, Valeria looked away from the door that Carlisle had disappeared through and to Paul.

"What—"

Valeria was quickly cut off as her ears picked up on a sickening crunch followed by an agonizing scream — Sam's scream. A quiet whimper left Valeria's lips as she looked back at the house.

The first scream was only the beginning, and soon, another one followed. Then another and another and another as Carlisle rebroke the bones over and over again, forcing them in the right position.

"He shouldn't be going through this," Valeria mumbled. She had sunk to the front steps and covered her ears for each pained sound that came from inside. "He shouldn't have done something so reckless, and I should've been paying more attention."