Chapter 17

The lanes of the famous red light area are now open for business. The curfew of the night had been lifted with no recent murders. Women of different ages stand at the side of the road smiling at men who pass by them, calling them to come with them. Men of all ages scan the products to select the one for the night. Products, that's what they are for these customers. Shops selling cigarettes and pans are open where a few men gather.

In one such shop sits a guy, looking at everything happening around him. He has a thick moustache, wears a white Kurta and dhoti and a white Gandhian topi. There is a red towel over his shoulder. He keeps scanning the faces of the people, while folding the pan or betel leaves.

At one corner of the street stands an autorickshaw driver. He wears a t-shirt, the khaki shirt over it, and a pair of black trousers. He has a full beard. His eyes are at the entrance to the lane as he smokes a cigarette and chats with fellow rickshaw drivers.

Two black SUVs stop at the main street and a guy gets down from the first one. From the one behind two more guys get down. The guy says something to the driver and the vehicle leaves. He is thin, tall with long hair. He wears a yellow vest and a printed shirt over it. A handkerchief has been tied on the wrist and another one tied around his neck. He walks ahead of the other two men.

The men stop at the shop where the guy in white Kurta sells cigarettes. The man at the front enters the two storey building and takes the stairs to reach the first floor. He goes to the 3rd door and enters the room.

Inside is a woman in late 20s. She wears a shimmering red saree with a sleeveless blouse, showing her ample cleavage. Her hair is open with flowers tied to it. Big jhumkas in her ears and a lot of metal bangles on her wrist completes her look.

"Pakiya, tu aa gaya? Main kab se tere ko yaad kar rahi thi. Late kayeko kiya? Hun?", she says putting her arms around him.
Pakiya gives her a lopsided smile and hugs her,"Tere ko malum nahi, kitna tension chal raha hai."
"But I was waiting for you Paku. You come just one day in a week and that too so late. Leave me, I don't want to talk to you.", she turns her face to look away.
Pakiya grabs her hair, "Aye, Jyada mach mach na karne ka! Aya na main, jasti uchal ne ka nahi. Aukat mein rehne ka. Samjhi."
He throws her on the bed and comes closer.
"Now don't waste my time.."

The guy at the cigarette shop says,"Babuji, ek paan khaye. I make the best ones in the whole Mumbai."
The two men with Pakiya stand there smoking cigarettes.
One of them asks,"Who are you? Where is Bihari?"
The shopkeeper smiles and says, "Woh hamra bhai hai. I am Babu. He has gone to the village. I am here for him. I have my shop on the chowk."
Laxman gives them the betel leaves as he flashes them his pan clad red teeth.

Rohini lies on the bed in the arms of Pakiya.
"Kya hua tere ko? Gussa hai mere pe?"
"Tere ko kya? Mujhe yahan se leke jayega bola, I am still stuck here."
"I give you enough to stay comfortably here without doing anything. I have already talked to your madam and you live a nice life. Why do you keep saying the same thing? I will take a kholi and get you out of here. Now stop irritating me with the same things."
Rohini gets up and starts correcting her clothes.

Pakiya sits up and pulls out a pair of golden earnings.
"Gussa chod, take this."
Rohini looks at it and smiles. She excitedly takes it from his hand and wears them. Pakiya pulls her closer and says,"Khush! Now.."
Before he could complete he could hear the sirens of police. Pakiya leaves her and looks out from the window. He could see a team of police entering the lane. He takes out the phone and dials a number but it doesn't connect.

He opens the door and gets out of the room. He searches for his men but they are nowhere to be found. The cigarette shop is closed with no one in sight. He finds people running away as police chase them with canes.