107

Y/n's ears were ringing.

 The sound of distant yelling and gunshots were slowly getting louder and louder as she regained consciousness. "Fuck..." She murmured to herself, opening her eyes to find that she was on the ground and amongst the rubble. Y/n reached up to set a hand on the side of her head, searching for any sort of injury as she tried to regain focus. She had been going at full speed on that motorcycle, so crashing wasn't really a pleasant experience. The dust from the rubble filled her lungs with every breath, causing her chest to tighten and her throat to sting. After checking the back of her head for any injuries, y/n moved her dirt-covered hand around to the front. She almost immediately hissed in pain, her fingers coming in contact with a gash just under hairline. The blood was warm and thick, embedding itself into her hair and dripping down her face. Maybe choosing not to wear a helmet wasn't the best idea. "Y/n!" A faraway voice yelled, causing y/n to look up to find the source of the noise. Everything sounded like it was underwater, her vision blurry and struggling to catch up with any movement. She'd hit her head harder than she expected.

 "Y/n! Are you okay?" The voice called out again, snapping y/n out of the distorted state of shock that she was in. Sam was stood over her, the shadow of his wings blocking out the bright sun. A look of concern was plastered across his face as he stared down at her. He'd watched the whole thing happen. Everyone did. It was a nasty crash. "Here, I'll fly you back to the quinjet. You can't fight like this." He sighed, reaching a hand out for y/n to take. As much as he wanted to check y/n over for injuries, he didn't have the time. Rumlow and his team were actively attacking the institute, and Steve needed as much help as he could get. The best that Sam could do was fly y/n away from danger. 

Y/n quickly shook her head at the offer to be taken back to the quinjet. "No, no. I'm all good. I can keep fighting." She forced out, taking Sam's hand as he hoisted her up and onto her feet. She took in a sharp breath, her body aching from the force of the crash. "I'm all good." She repeated, trying to convince herself that what she said was true. Y/n was determined to carry on with the mission. She had to keep going. This was her change to get revenge for what Rumlow did to Bucky. "All good." She repeated again, ignoring the blood that was steadily dripping down her face. Y/n took in another deep breath, letting go of Sam's hand as she begun to mimic super soldier strength. As soon as y/n begun to mimic super soldier strength, the pain and the fog in her brain faded into the background. She stood up a little straighter, the adrenaline rush bringing a newfound energy to y/n. "Go help. I'm fine." She commanded, cracking her neck and knuckles as she prepared to fight. 

Sam watched y/n with nervous eyes, his face caught in a deep frown. He didn't believe for one second that she was 'fine'. That gash on her head looked painful. "Are you sure?" He asked, his voiced laced with concern. But, the only response he got from y/n was a simple nod before she walked away. Sam cursed under his breath, shaking his head as he watched her walk toward the chaos. He didn't have a good feeling about all of this. 

"Cap, where do you need me?" Y/n asked over her earpiece, traversing through the rubble and dust. Her earpiece was almost completely destroyed. The only thing that was holding it together were the wires. Every voice sounded crackly and robotic, but there was nothing that y/n could do about it. She'd rather deal with robotic voices than not be able to communicate at all with the team. Y/n reached up with a sigh, using the back of her hand to wipe the blood off of her cheek. Even if she couldn't feel the pain, she knew that the gash on her head was bad. It was bleeding far too much for a small cut. 

"Help Wanda get the poisonous gas out of the building. I'm going after Rumlow." Steve commanded, his voice robotic and broken on y/n's side of the earpiece.

Y/n nodded at the command, glancing around in attempt to spot Wanda in all of the chaos. She almost wished that Steve had given her a more action-packed job to do, but she knew that getting the gas out of the building was vital. Y/n wanted to be the one to hunt Rumlow. She wanted revenge. But, she had to focus on the job at hand for now. "Got it." She sighed. 

It didn't take long to find Wanda ducked behind one of the pillars at the front of the building. Sam was stood on the other side of the pillar, protecting Wanda from any attacks. They had to get the gas out of the building, and soon. Y/n raced toward Wanda, ducking as much as possible to dodge the constant spray of bullets aimed at her. As soon as she reached the pillar, y/n quickly pressed herself against it, trying her hardest to catch her breath. "What does Rumlow want from here, anyway?" She asked with a frown, glancing toward Wanda who was busy blasting enemies away. "Bioweapons." Wanda responded bluntly, not even glancing over at y/n.

Y/n and Wanda's relationship was still pretty icy. It had been ever since the Zemo incident. Wanda just couldn't seem to forgive y/n after she almost killed Vision. She knew it wasn't y/n's fault, but she just couldn't take the image out of her head. Wanda had already lost her parents and her brother, she couldn't deal with another loss. Vision was all that she had left, and the fact that y/n almost took that from her was terrifying. The whole situation was sad, really. Y/n and Wanda used to be so close, but now they barely even uttered a word to one another. It hurt. 

Y/n took a slight breath as she prepared herself to mimic Wanda's powers. Usually it wouldn't be a struggle, but this time it meant that she'd have to stop mimicking super soldier strength. The super soldier strength was probably the only thing keeping her standing up, so this transition wasn't going to be a fun one. "Ready, Wanda?" She asked, trying to stall as much as possible. Y/n leant up against the pillar with a nervous sigh. That pillar was probably going to be the only thing keeping her on her feet. She glanced over at Wanda, forcing a smile when she nodded.

As much as y/n wanted to avoid what she had to do, it was time to get to work. She let go of the super soldier strength, beginning to mimic Wanda's powers as the pair worked together to get the gas out of the building. 

Everything seemed to happen at once. Every window of the building smashed, creating a horrible noise and a deadly spray of glass shards to the people down below. But, y/n was more focused on the pain in her body than the glass shards. Her whole body was in pain, and the gash on her head seemed to begin to bleed even heavier. The ringing in her ears came back with force, leaving y/n only able to hear the sound of her shaky breaths. But, y/n had no choice but to keep pushing. She had both hands reached out as y/n and Wanda controlled the gas, forcing it out of the building and up into the air. They had to keep it contained in the air for as long as possible. Nobody knew how strong that gas was, they just knew it was poisonous. 

Y/n ignored the pain for as long as possible, focusing on the gas to distract herself. The pain was beginning to take over her mind, her eyes sore from staring up at the bright sky for so long. Everything hurt. She was sure that she had more severe injuries on her body somewhere, but there was no way of checking now. That was the problem with wearing civilian clothes, no protection. But, just as y/n was about to give up, she spotted something. 

Rumlow.

Rumlow had jumped from the building, and was beginning to sprint away. Y/n couldn't pass up that invitation. He was right there. She could catch him with ease. This was her time to get revenge. "I'll get him, Cap!" She called out, mimicking super soldier strength once again as she begun to chase after Rumlow. Y/n wanted to be the one to catch him. She had to be. 

"No, y/n! Stay with Wanda!" Steve called out, but y/n just seemed to ignore him.