Chapter Sixteen

Early in the morning, you feel yourself being lightly shaken awake, groaning as you wonder what time it is.

You slowly open your eyes to see William standing above you with a grin.

"Damn y/n, you really are from the future."

Quietly laughing, you nod your head as he continues to look at you with curious eyes.

As you sit up, the ivory knitted blanket falls into your lap, eventually reminding you of last night.

"Oh!"

Remembering you are still curled up on the living room couch, you eagerly look past him to the television and notice percentages sweeping the screen.

"58.8%... 40.6%..."

You sigh a small breath of relief that you correctly recalled the numbers, happy that school came in handy at least once in your life.

"I will be back after taking Michael to school," he whispers.

Before leaving, he gently lifts the knit blanket back up to your shoulders, and you close your eyes to return to sleep once you hear him walk out of the room.

♡~~~♡

Six hours have passed since you've last seen William, and you can't help but feel a bit apprehensive.

He is an unpredictable man, sure, but he has never been out by himself this long while he's known you.

A flood of unreasonable thoughts fills your head as you wonder what could have happened to him.

'What if he's hurt? What if he's been murdered? No, I don't think he'd allow that...'

Sighing, you gently lay your head on the back of the couch while briefly closing your eyes.

'He's an intelligent man, he can handle himself.'

A moment later, you decide to make yourself some lunch in the kitchen upon hearing your stomach grumble.

As you bite into your grilled cheese sandwich, the sound of the garage door finally opening quickens your heart rate and permeates the otherwise silent house.

Slight relief but mostly annoyance that he had left you alone without warning for so long fills your body.

Listening to the door, you expect to hear him come inside but to your surprise, he lingers in the garage for about ten minutes before entering.

"Where were you?" you ask, eventually hearing him step inside and groan quietly.

Your eyes widen slightly as you see his disheveled appearance.

His dark messy hair is lightly damp, wrinkle lines are visible on his black dress pants, his white button up is only partially tucked in, the once perfect tie is now loosely hanging from his neck, and his silver eyes appear somewhat dull and tired.

"William!" you gasp, hopping off the kitchen island seat and hesitantly walking over to him.

"What happened to you?"

As you approach him, he remains standing in the same place, carefully watching as your eyes search his body with concern.

Only when you lift one hand to his upper arm does his face relax, and a smug smirk crosses his lips.

"Care about me, dear, do you?"

You pull back your hand in response, looking away as your face blushes.