Chapter 61 - Court Hearing

Judge Baek heard the appeal and after a couple of minutes of thinking,agreed with the request and said,"Alright,I can interview Mr Pei on a later date."She then turned to Neil and said,"Lawyer Long,you have anything to say?"

At this point,Neil stood up and passed a folder to the bailiff to pass it to the judge."Your honor,I have submitted some proofs regarding the ability of Ms Knight being a suitable guardian to a child."Neil,then moved from his place and passed a similar folder to Lawyer Zheng."

"Your Honor,on the first page on this folder is the medical certificate stating that Dr Blake had treated Ms Knight during the last two years.But,Your Honor let me direct you to one point,the medical certificate does not mention what kind of illness was treated."

"The second form is a consent form that Ms Knight signed for the court allowing the doctor to reveal the details of her medical case history without worrying about Doctor-patient confidentiality."

"Your Honor,the third page is what I feel is most prudent to this case.On this page you will find words like drug abuse,recreational drugs,addiction,etc.This is the doctor's initial assessment of Ms Knight.This report is dated about a year back.After this,she stayed at the rehabitilation center for 3 months.During this period,Ms Knight met her current fiance Mr Pei,who was also in rehabilitation for alcohol addiction.Your honor,on one hand is a set of parents who are ideal on another is a set of parents who are already dealing with pschological problems.And before Lawyer Jheng claims that Ms Knight took drugs due to her depression then let me ask you to turn another page in this folder.This report is from the same doctor and the prognosis is also similar but this is dated about 6 years back.Your Honor, Ms Knight has been a part of substance abuse in the past as well as in recent times.Is it safe to hand over the custody of a small child in such unstable hands?"

"Your Honor,Lawler Long is referring to the past whereas Ms Knight is referring to the future.Ms Knight has nothing to hide which is why she signed the form.But is the court not about giving second chances?Ms Knight completed her rehabilitation so that she could be with her son.And now by bringing out the past Mr Ryu Long thinks to be able to use that against her."Lawyer Zheng had been assured by Ms Knight that the doctor would give a prognosis of depression.But in this folder the doctor's prognosis was clear.That meant the doctor had double crossed Ms Knight and Mr Pei.Good thing she was well prepared with a plan B and had thought out what to say in case the truth came out.If she had been unprepared,that would have left a negative effect...She continued,"Your honor,rehabilitation centers are made to reassure people who have fallen off the track that there is still place for them in society.It is people like Mr Ryu Long who dare to be narrow minded and make such people suffer almost forcing them back to resort to their previous habits.Ms Knight has worked hard to get over her addiction and the only reason she had to do this was to be able to have her son by her side."

Neil had done his research on Lawyer Jheng and had known that the woman always had a plan B. But this time,she was going to need plan C,plan D and plan E.

After Lawyer Zheng finished her piece,Neil got up from his seat once again and said,Your Honor,from the beginning of this case Lawyer Zheng and Mr Knight have verbally slandered my client.He stayed quiet because he did not want to throw mud at his ex-wife.But the evidences provided in this court are sparse.Ms Knight claimed Depression but nowhere has the doctor mentioned any such thing.Lawyer Zheng claims that Ms Knight did not intend to hide her addiction and stint in rehabilitation but they have also not mentioned it anywhere...does that not mean lying by omission?And for once if my client was willing to overlook this,the next set of evidences that I am providing will prove something even more serious than drug abuse.Drug Pedaling."

"Your honor,Ms Knight has been used to a lavish lifestyle.This lifestyle was supported first by her parents then her Godfather ad then her husband.But once Ms Knight got a divorce she received a handsome monetary compensation as well as some properties that personally belonged to Mr Ryu Long.Apart from this Ms Knight is also receiving annual monetary gains from her dead Godfather's investments.Even after many such income sources,your honor,Ms Knight was arrested for drug pedaling.In this folder are attached the details of the arrest operation and the court statement from Country E stating the nature of the crime and the punishment given out.