Thirty Eight "Part One"

PART ONE

It was raining again. Heavy water droplets continued to hit against the stained glass window as she tried to ignore the immense pressure of her crippling anxiety.

"Delivery for my special pea, would you happen to know where she might be?"

Turning her head in time, the young girl's short obsidian locks swayed across her shoulders. Sorrow morphed into fondness, watching the figure enter the study room with two big mugs in her hands. 

The first thing she noticed were those honey-brown eyes, sweet like caramel vanilla, the innocence in those hypnotic eyes could make any bad day, good.

"You know I tell you this every time, but you don't have to come and find me." The girl sighed, quickly shuffling to the side on the brown leather couch she had been hiding in to make some space. A fluffy blanket was around her lap and a thick rimmed book stayed glued to her hands.

"Oh don't you start that with me, young lady." The elderly woman scolded, sitting down. "You're the only one that keeps me sane around here, now budge up, what are we reading tonight?"

Handing the solemn teenager a steaming mug of hot cocoa, she took it graciously and peered down at her book. "Mary Shelly." She grumbled lowly.

"But of course," Replied the carer, peering down at the beautiful adolescent beside her. "A rainy day classic, that is."

Sucking in a deep breath, she nervously chewed on her bottom lip, trying to keep the tears from falling.

"I, uh, I'm sorry for leaving the dinner table early again." she finally voiced, breaking the empty air. "I know you made my favourite but I just couldn't do it tonight."

The elderly woman smiled sadly, reaching over with her free hand to pull the trembling child closer for a much-needed hug. "You want to talk about it?"

She shook her head, sniffling. "N-No."

"Okay, darling." A feathery kiss was laid atop of her head.

They sat in silence for the longest time, sipping on their beverages and reading the novel together. Although it was not uncomfortable by any means, it gave her the stability she had been searching for.

"Ada?" She whispered, unsure how to piece her mind's worries together in an audible murmur.

"Yes, my dear."

"D-Do you think they'll ever like me?"

The little devils were pushing on her back, provoking her to fall deeper into the vicious spell of depression.

The woman gave it a thought. Pausing briefly, then emptying her throat in a cough. "I don't believe that for one second you would truly want them to like you. They're not the kind of people who deserve a piece of your big heart."

A tight smile threatened to decorate her flushed face. "Big heart? That's a nicer way to say that I'm a crybaby." She whispered, feeling the tears prick at her eyes. "All I do is cry and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of being me."

"I don't know where you got into your head that being sensitive is a bad thing but that couldn't be further from the truth. One of the greatest strengths you have is your sensitivity and you need to realise that."