Fourteen

There was one week until the wedding.

That meant one thing. Everyone were stressing about getting everything ready for the big day.

This week, I was supposed to focus on one thing and one thing only. Getting myself ready for the weekend.

I had to get my eyebrows done, I had to get both a manicure and a pedicure, I needed to get a full-body massage and I had my last dress fitting.

As my maid in honour, Inez had planned it all. She also specifically told George that his responsibility was packing our bags for the honeymoon and getting my engagement ring cleaned so that it was extra sparkly as I walked down the aisle.

Inez was my maid of honour the first time around as well but I know she didn't enjoy it as much because she loathed Malcolm and didn't want me to marry him.

But now she was excited to play her part. She wanted me to absolutely shine, even if that meant covering me in diamonds.

"So I've done something and you might not like it." George said and approached me in the kitchen while I cooked dinner.

I looked up at him, waiting for him to come clean about whatever he had done. He let out a small sigh as he pushed his hands into the pockets of his trousers.

"I've invited Henry to the wedding."

We stared at each other as I processed what he told me. Then I continued cooking, deciding to ignore it altogether.

"Dia..." he said, taking a step closer. "...are you upset? Say something."

"What do you need me to say?"

"I don't know..."

I nodded and looked at him again.

"Exactly, and if I asked you why you invited my brother when you know I don't want him there, you'd answer with the same exact thing. You don't know."

"I know you want a relationship to him—"

"No I don't."

"Yeah, you do." He nodded. "And I know you're lying because you tug at your lip when you do."

"Stop."

"Nadine is the one who faked her own death and causes you to mourn for all of those years. She's the one who left you alone in that family and—"

"Henry knew she wasn't dead." I said. "I showed up at his house and I told her Nadine had died and he didn't say anything. He knew. He also let Nadine lie. He let her do that to Fred and your family. Nadine isn't the only guilty person, George and I don't want him at the wedding."

He didn't respond. We stared at each other until Fred showed up in the kitchen with a book, placing it on the counter.

"I don't want a new baby in the house." He said. "But if it's a boy, you have to name him Caleb."

I chuckled.

"Caleb?" I asked. "And if it's a girl?"

Fred shrugged.

"It won't be." He said. "This is a book of names that I borrowed in the library last week. The name Caleb is on page twenty-six."

He walked out of the kitchen again and I glanced at George before looking at the book.

"Dia, I'm sorry." George said and looked at me, bringing a hand closer to me, brushing his fingers against my hip.

Then he moved behind me and placing both hands on my hips while resting his chin on my shoulder.