Chapter 37 - Six Guests and Only Two Rooms

The three couples had planned to stay overnight at an inn. They decided to find a place to sleep and rest (yes, afternoon naps are needed), then go investigate the fires at night.

"Uhh..." The inn owner croaked. "You want three rooms?"

Shen Qingqiu nodded. He wondered if the inn owner was judging them again like the others... but as it turned out, the inn owner had bad eyes. The inn owner didn't judge them, and merely told them, "We only have two rooms left, each with one bed."

Hearing that, Lan Zhan's eyelids had twitched.

"...ahh, is that so? Really?" Wei Wuxian put up a front. "Can you check again? I don't mean to judge your skills based on your... appearance, but..." His gaze wandered to the inn owner's glasses and squinting eyes, "You don't look very capable in the aspects of... seeing."

"Hahaha." The inn keeper laughed sillily. "What'd you say?"

Wei Wuxian, "..." Was this inn keeper pretending, or was he both blind and deaf?

He coughed, pressing a fist to his mouth. Then, he talked again, but this time, with a higher voice. "Ohh brilliant sir, can't you see that I'm a pretty maiden? You can call me Big Sister."

Indeed, the inn keeper's eyes were blind. When he'd heard the feminine voice, his cheeks turned red.

"A-Ah, so it was a Big Sister, not a Big Brother!" The inn keeper babbled.

Wei Wuxian turned to Lan Zhan, holding up a 'thumbs up'. His happy smile seemed to roar SUCESS!

The remaining three couples stared dead-eyed at him, "..." What in the world was the Yiling Patriarch thinking?

"Yeah, so great sir, I was just wondering if there were any spare rooms left." Wei Wuxian continued his feminine voice. "Last time, you told me and my companions there are only two rooms left, each with one bed. Is that true? Could you possibly check again for me?"

The inn keeper nodded. He went through his folder, then shook his shoulders. "This Big Sister, I'm afraid that I was not mistaken."

He pointed a scrawny finger at the remaining three couples, "You can either share a room with half of them, or just hog a room to yourself. Make sure to keep the battle minimized to below the head and shoulders... oh, and don't ruin my inn please. Last year, the ceiling collapsed, so I had to rebuild it myself. Big Sister, you all look like daoists, so just please... not the ceiling."

The three couples, "..." Why do all of a sudden, they feel immense pity for this inn keeper?

The cat meowed, as if it could sense the inn keeper's pain.

"Ohh?" The inn owner's ears had pricked. "Why Big Sister, you can act like a man... and even a cat?"

Wei Wuxian, who was suspected for sounding like a cat, "..." No, I'm not so skillful.

"Understood, great sir." Wei Wuxian continued his feminine voice. "We'd like to book those two rooms them. Just speak the price, and we'll give it up."

The inn owner flushed at the last sentence. "One room is merely a few silver coins."

After paying for the two rooms, the inn owner handed over the two keys. The three couples held onto the two keys, feeling complicated at what to do.

"We'll be off now, great sir." Wei Wuxian cheered. He then left the counter.

As a cultivator, his ears could naturally hear all whispers of the inn. By accident, he'd heard the inn owner grumbling under his breath, "Children nowadays. Not only do they take a liking to switching genders, but even do so as an attempt to seduce me... an old man. Why, I am not into cut-sleeves, nor having an affair with a cut-sleeve who's already married."