Chapter 47

Ryder's POV

Bets were placed as soon as Liam ran.

He should really work on the sound of his footsteps.

"Listen up!" I whistled and they immediately dropped what they were doing.

"Once we're inside, we are all each other's enemies. Using your gifts are not allowed, and you can inflict pain but not to the point where someone could die." I reminded them that this friendly game was part of their training.

"If. And only if, you reach Liam, you are not to harm even a single strand of his hair. You can capture him but you won't hurt him. Understood?" I warned and the threat in my voice was as clear as the skies. They nodded their heads and pressed their fists to their chest.

"If any of you manage to catch him, that person's unit can have the day off and I will be the one to pay for all of their drinks in the bar." They cheered and hooted as I settled my hands on my hips. I shook my head while casting it down.

"And maybe a drop of my lover's blood." I jested and their irises immediately turned to red. I heard a couple of audible swallows and I smirked, knowing that they would do their best.

"But if I, am the one to catch him. Which I will..." I slowly paced in front of them and I could already feel the challenge in all of their stares.

"Every single one of you will scrub the Palace clean until it's spotless for Liam's birthday." They groaned and some threw their head back which made me amused.

"There's only a minute left." Kayne grabbed our attentions and prepared the gun.

"You think he's in a good distance away from here?" I asked him as everyone got into position and stood before the line.

"Probably. Probably not." He smirked and pointed the gun upwards.

"Get ready to catch your little red."

*****
Liam's POV

How long has it been?

My feet and my sides were aching after running like a cheetah. This forest was so rich with trees and I had to jump over some fallen branches so that I wouldn't trip.

I decided to stop to take a breath, and I suddenly heard a loud bang.

Oh God.

The wolves are out.

"Boo!" I screamed at Kayne's voice and I immediately looked up to see that he was with Natalie and Devin, who had a gift for teleportation.

"Run, little red. Run!" He cheered and I didn't waste any time in moving my feet.

My heart was thumping against my ribcage and my body was fueled with both nervousness and anticipation. This was probably the most intense exercise that I have done.

I began to hear multiple gruff screams all around me and I snapped my head towards its location.

They're gaining on me.

My side was suffering so much that I had to press a hand over it and decrease my pace to a walk. I leaned against a tree and looked up towards the sky as I took shallow breaths.

The crunch of the twig snapping sounded behind me, and my body immediately straightened up.

I was about to run again when I heard a squirrel scurry away above me.

Shit!

Noel, from the first squad smirked before launching himself at me. My eyes widened in shock but he didn't catch me because another guy intercepted him midair.