Retaliation

"What'd you do?" Kit asked when Simon returned from the office.

     "Something bad." Simon shrugged. "If everyone else gets to, so can I." Kit eyed him suspiciously.

     "How bad?"

     "Retaliation."

....

     "Simon? I'm home." Liam called as he entered the house. He had a quick break for dinner before he went to his second job. Simon drifted slowly into the room. His sleeves were stretched out as he played with the hems in discomfort. "Are you alright?" Simon shook his head in response. Liam walked wordlessly over and wrapped his brother in a hug. Liam was wide shouldered, and he squeezed Simon tightly, in a relieving embrace. Simon and Liam showed each other affection often, one of the healthiest parts of their strange existence. At the moment a hug was exactly what Simon needed, as Liam suspected. "What's wrong?" Liam attempted and failed to keep his voice from sounding parental when he talked with Simon. Without a true father in the house Liam had grown to fill that slot. Often he felt Simon played the mother in their equilibrium, but today Simon was the child, a role Liam wished he convince Simon to allow himself to play more.

     "Everything is so.. messy, and I'm upset with everyone."

     "Because of Shea?" Liam's face hardened.

     "no..." Simon squeaked, "Asher." His voice lowered to a whisper.

    "I thought I told you to keep clear of him.. I don't mean to sound harsh, it just kills me to see you upset."

     "I know, and I'm sorry. I tried to stay away from Asher, I really did, but that just angered him.." Simon explained.

    "Oh. So he's done something to you?"

    "Not to me.. To Shea." Simon mumbled, tugging at his hair. "He's the one who got Shea kicked off the team."

     "Of course he is." Liam's solid face refused to let Simon in to see his emotions, but his eyes had a misty film over them.

....

2 years prior.

     "You can't flirt with Mary like that, she's Jason's girl." Liam's high school best friend, John, warned him. Jason was the big man on campus, the football team captain. He was a year Liam's senior, and in his final year of high school, and Liam knew the older boy had been the star, until Liam came and out shined him, and Jason only got to retain his captain spot because he was a senior. Liam felt, as did the rest of the team, that the boy shouldn't be captain, but that Liam should. Mary was the head cheerleader, and in Liam's grade. She was just about the prettiest girl any boy had ever seen with large blue eyes, and soft blonde curls. She was clean as the virgin, and it became a game to see who could get the girl. She showed no interest in boys, and wore long sleeved shirts under her uniform; that only made her more attractive though. She was like a gift, the heavy wrapping paper only built the excitement for what was inside.

     "Who cares what Jason wants?" Liam grinned cockily, a personality trait that would be drained from him completely over the next two years. "Besides she doesn't give him the time of the day anyway."

     "Whatever, it's your funeral." The other jock joked before going to fill himself another beer. The homecoming at Boston central was well known for not having enough adult supervision, and Liam was on an adrenaline high after scoring the first winning touchdown of the season. Mary was sat alone in the corner, she famously didn't drink, and was not interested in hanging out with the other cheerleaders, or having a drunk Jason try to get in her pants all night.