Chapter 12

Once Layla was gone, Diana took a stroll around the village, visiting different shops and spending most of her money on sweets in Honeydukes' shop. She was starting to get extremely bored and tired of walking. But knowing that this would happen, she had come prepared.

     She had brought a book with herself to read just in case she got bored, and so she made her way toward the Three Broomsticks to enjoy some Butterbeer all on her own while reading; what better way to spend a day? Although, the moment she stepped inside the pub, her joy disappeared.

"Bullocks," Diana mumbled to herself bitterly as she entered the Three Broomsticks, only to see James Potter and Sirius Black in there, talking to Madam Rosmerta by the counter, along with their other friend, Peter Pettigrew.

It was just then that Diana realized Lupin was missing. She decided not to give much of a thought to it, and so she just ordered her butterbeer and sat down at a small table in a corner to read her book in peace.

But as the minutes passed by and she started to get bored again, she found her eyes wandering toward where the three Gryffindor boys sat. They talked and laughed loudly, but everyone loved them so much that no one seemed to mind or be disturbed by it. The whole school thought that they were the height of cool.

It was obvious to her that Black had already ditched the Ravenclaw girl, and she wasn't surprised at all. She also realized that James Potter kept stealing glances at the table where Lily Evans sat with her three friends.

     But Diana couldn't figure where Lupin was. Everyone knew that the four boys were inseparable, but Lupin was nowhere to be found. At first she assumed that maybe he was in the bathroom, but he didn't even show up in an hour of time.

     Now that she really thought about it for the first time, Diana realized that throughout the last years he kept missing classes for some reason, and the weird part was that none of the teachers seemed to mind.

***

As the day began to turn into dusk, Diana left the Three Broomsticks to meet up with Layla in the entrance hall at Hogwarts.

"So how was your date?" Diana asked as she dug into her bag full of sweets, handing one candy to her friend and eating one herself.

"Ugh, it was horrible." Layla shuddered. "It was so boring! Not to mention he thought he was funny, while he clearly wasn't. He kept laughing at his own jokes."

Diana laughed. "Excellent!"

"It wasn't excellent! It was freaking boring! I don't think I'll be going out with him again. My day sucked," Layla mumbled grumpily.

"Good, because my day sucked too!" Diana said cheerfully, throwing an arm around Layla's shoulder as they both laughed.

The two girls walked into the Great Hall and sat down at the Slytherin table. Dinner was already being served, but they'd had too many candies in the last few minutes that neither of them felt too hungry.

"By the way," Diana started, trying to keep her voice as casual as possible, "have you ever noticed how Lupin keeps missing classes every once in a while?"

She saw Layla's grin widen, which completely defied her purpose of keeping a casually tone. "Still obsessed with Remus Lupin, I see."

"I'm not obsessed with him!" Diana retorted angrily. "I was just... observing."

"If you say so." She smiled slyly, putting some mashed potato in her plate. "But, no. I'd never really given it much of a thought until you just mentioned it now. I guess I've been too busy paying attention to Black and Potter to notice anyone else." Layla winked at her.

"Potter only has eyes for Lily Evans, so don't even think about it. You had to see the way he was looking at her today. He even went to her once to ask her out, but ended up being yelled at by Evans. It was brutal. He didn't seem bothered by it though. He kept grinning like nothing had happened. So I don't think it's wise for you to go for it."

"I didn't say I was going for it! But I'm still a woman," she smirked, "I notice when someone's hot as hell."

Diana only shook her head in disappointment, going back to finishing her meal.

"Oh, come on! You can't deny that they're hot. Specially Black," Layla protested.

"I dunno..."

"Go on! Admit it! Say that Sirius Black is hot!"

"No!"

"Say it!"

"Ugh, fine!" Diana snapped in defeat. "Sirius Black is hot! Happy?"

"Thanks. I'm well aware that I'm hot," a voice said behind them.

"Aargh!" Diana jumped out of her skin from shock.

She abruptly turned her head to look behind her in horror, only to see Sirius Black standing there with his hands in his pockets as he grinned down at them handsomely.

"Well, hello," said Layla as she looked up as well, bearing the same flirty smirk as him.

"Layla, was it?" Black asked, looking over at her coolly. Diana assumed he was trying to play it casual, pretending like he didn't care enough to even remember her name.

"Sirius, was it?" Layla asked in the same casual manner, making him let out a deep chuckle.

"So, I was just... passing by," Black started, acting careless. Although Diana got the feeling that this was not at all true. "And well, I couldn't help but overhear your little conversation."

"It's rude to eavesdrop, you know," Diana said wittily.

"Yes, yes, of course." He nodded in a mock-solemn way, "But you were talking about me. So that kinda makes it my business."

Before Layla could get the chance to open her mouth, Diana beat her into it as she looked up at the boy suspiciously and narrowed her eyes, saying, "What do you want?"

"I beg your pardon?" Black raised a brow at her, his arrogant grin remaining at the edge of his perfect lips.

"Well, you can't expect us to believe that you were just passing by." Diana air-quoted the last words. "The Gryffindor table is all the way over there."

"Okay, you got me." He raised his hands, still smirking. "I actually came over here to say something. Would it be okay with you ladies if I sat down with you for a minute and had a little chat?"

"Sure."

"No."

Diana and Layla said at the same time, but Black's grin only widened as he took the empty space between them and sat down, ignoring the glares which the other Slytherins were throwing at him.

"You're Diana Greengrass, right?" Black told her a bit unsurely.

"Yes. Thank you for reminding me of my own name. I've been having trouble remembering it lately," Diana said sarcastically, but he tried to ignore it.

     Although Diana couldn't deny that she had taken aback that he knew who she was. She assumed that he probably knew her name because she was the Slytherin Beater.

"Well, Miss Greengrass, as you said, I wasn't just passing by. I came here for a reason," he went on. "I wanted to ask you something."

Diana raised a brow at him. "What?"

Sirius's grin widened. "Will you go out with me?"