Zahraun

The human female walks behind me in silence but I can hear her breathing. Bet-khar is next to her, so is Cet-khar and Bal-khan. Celtic remains in the pod, collecting some data.

I was surprised to see her wearing the nightshirt I left at Bet-khar's pod.  I borrowed the craft for a two-day hunt and, apparently, forgot to collect my personal belongings. When I told her that the shirt was mine, she looked at it as if it was poisonous. Good!

We board the freighter that will take us to the upper levels of this ship, and I notice the human leaning in close to my brother. They look at each other in silent communication. Apparently, my little brother and this tinny creature developed a method of communication of their own.

Watching them interact makes me feel something strange. I do not quite know how to describe it. But it's similar to anger and discomfort. Suddenly, I feel... old, even though I'm in my prime.

Bet-khar pat her head and I feel my blood beginning to boil. The scowl on my face deepens, and the human steps back and behind my brother for protection. Her choice of place to hide angers me, I do not know why. So, I step forward and grab her little arm. She protests, but I find that I do not care. I have no respect for humans. "You will cease hiding behind another male when I'm close to you. I am the ONLY male who will provide you with protection, from now on."

Bal-khan, who is only a few years younger than me, watches me with amusement. Cet-Khar too seems to find the situation entertaining. Bet-khar, however, says nothing. He knows the gravity of his actions. He betrayed my trust by stealing an illicit creature and bringing it to my ship. I now have to deal with the consequences of his mistake.

Intergalactic laws are stricter than ever before, to prevent slavery and interplanetary wars. Our population is declining due to low fertility rates. My people haven't seen a youngling since Bet-Khar was born. Many planets are facing the same problem. My ancestors wouldn't have recognized what has our world come to.

My father will be furious when he finds out about the human. The Yautja consul might not allow her entry, and if they do... at what cost? But I can't let my younger brother suffer any physical or legal punishments. He acted in good conscience. His moral compass has always been sharper than mine.

I can take any Xenomorph that comes my way with my bare hands. I am known for being reckless. I go through life leaving a path of destruction behind me and carry on as if nothing is wrong. This is the Yautja way, my way. However, I do respond for my actions, and the actions of the ones under my protection. It's only fair I take responsibility for my brother's actions, for he is still too young.

I'm still holding the female's arm firmly, but I loosen my grip when she stops protesting. I know this human wants nothing to do with me, but we both have no choice from this point forward.

We arrive at the top level of the ship, and, of course, it's dinner time. As we approach the entry , the sounds of voices become louder, and I can feel her flesh stiffen beneath my palm. The wide hallway is packed with at least 200 hunters, all sitting in groups, growling and murmuring at each other as we walk.

I regard my hunters with a passive expression on my face, trying to hide my frustration. We are completely surrounded on all sides. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, the human leans in close to me, for the first time. She might have some survival instinct after all.

A few males look at me with confused expression on their faces. Most of them, however, are staring at the female. Yautjas do not like humans in general, but none of the new hunters onboard my ship have seen a female human before. Young hunters can be dangerous and volatile when caught by surprise.

If a fight breaks out, the female will run to Bet-khar for protection, and he is still too young to face the hunters I've trained. I, however, am the tallest and the strongest here. I will always win. They might think I won't shed their blood for a primitive human. But they know I will shed their blood for my brothers. None would dare challenge me.

I roared loudly, and the room goes silent. My hunters look at me like I'm an unpredictable dangerous animal. They are not far off.

My body straitened and I take long strides across the room, almost dragging the human behind me. My brothers trailed behind us in silent. The hunters lower their heads in a sign of respect as I walk.

We head to the door, almost out of the crowded room, when a young hunter blocks Bet-khar's path and growled at him. I tensed, but didn't let go of the human.

"You!" He pointed at Bet-khar, "... brought a human?" He snarled .

"Move, or I will kill you". I growled over my shoulder at the young hunter.

He takes a step back, but not far away enough for my comfort. Clearly, he wants to fight my brother.

I am not a patient male.

Without a warning, I turn and snap his neck with my right hand, while my left hand is still gripping the female's arm.

The human closes her eyes and sobs, clearly shocked and terrified.

The room goes silent. Nobody dares to speak.

I have stared down death numerous times, conquered a lifetime of loss and tragedy. I fear nothing.

I glare at the room and roar "The human is mine! I. Answer. To. No. One."