Chapter 61

Daisy ✧

Daisy

My heart was empty and my mind was blank as I glanced at the grave in front of me.

My eyes hadn't shed a tear since that day, as if I couldn't, as if my body was compelled to do so.

I knelt at Tyson's grave and read the words over and over.

Tyson Kaylen Viola.

A son, cousin, nephew and friend.

May his spirit find eternal rest.

My legs gave up, as I fell to the ground, and I sat cross-legged on the cut green grass.

I spread the daffodils I had gathered for him from our garden across the stone.

"I love you, Ty." I whisper as I kiss my hand and place the same hand on the stone.

Then, after two days, a solitary tear streamed down my cheek as I glanced at his image.

It was a photo of the two of us taken a year ago in California during our summer break. The photo was of us in front of the Hollywood sign; he knew I was always eager to go, so he took us.

As if the tear hadn't been there in the first place, I wiped it away.

I rose up from the floor after saying my final goodbyes and took one last look at the cemetery.

I stood there, staring at his and my parents' graves, knowing that I was the last of our close-knit family left.

I knew I had another aunt and uncle, but they weren't particularly family-like.

As I patted down my skirt and turned around, my gaze shifted away from the cemetery.

As he stood against his car, a cigarette between his lips, Angel's eyes met mine as he peered at me through his ray bans emotionlessly, mirroring my exact facial expression.

I told him he didn't have to come with me, but he argued that there wasn't any way he wouldn't come with me.

I walked up to him, only thinking about one thing, the overwhelming need to avenge my cousin's death.

Angel put out his cigarette and opened the door for me, as I kept my focus on the ground as I was about to walk in but then he stopped me.

His tattooed arms wrapped around my body and embraced me. My arms came from my sides and wrapped around his neck as I sighed and leant into his touch.

Angel was the only thing that kept me from crumbling; he hadn't left my side once, making sure I ate, slept, washed, and, honestly, just got through the day.

And, even though I couldn't express it right now, I was grateful beyond words.

I backed away from him, my eyes heavy despite the fact that I wasn't tired; it was pure exhaustion from the pain and numbing.