Chapter Thirteen: Good Soldiers Follow Orders

"What just happened?" Hunter shook his head and looked to the ground, dumbfounded.

Tech took a few deep breathes in attempt to slow his heart rate, but it was to no avail. He tried to focus on his data pad and the information it was spewing out instead.

"The comm channel is repeating one directive. Execute order sixty-six," Tech informed the group, yet it still didn't seem to make sense to any of them.

"Yeah I heard that too, what's order sixty-six?" Wrecker asked.

Tech swallowed hard, feeling foolish that he didn't have the answer. "I...am not certain," he sighed.

"Echo, Tech, talk to the reg captain. Find out what you can. Crosshair, you and I will track down the kid and Cass and make sure nothing happens to them. Wrecker, stall anyone who tries to follow us," Hunter gained enough composure to fall back into sergeant mode and direct orders. Everyone nodded and parted, though Hunter made sure to send Tech another reassuring look to ease him.

As the clones began to search for answers, Cass and Caleb had found their way to the highest trees they could find. They squatted on the branches and leaned against the bark, breathing heavily and fighting the tears that brimmed their eyes.

"Are we safe?" Caleb whispered and looked to Cass defeatedly.

"I...I don't know," she mumbled and bit the inside of her cheek. She closed her eyes and reached out into the force, in search of anyone—anything, that could help. And of course, it brought her right back to the very thing she was running from.

She cursed under her breath as she disabled the tracker from her comm, then raised it to her mouth.

"Tech? You there?" she feverishly muttered.

"Cass?" Tech's voice crackled through the comm and Cass sighed in relief. By the way Caleb stared at her incredulously, she wasn't sure if contacting him was extremely stupid or their only means of answers. Perhaps both. But if she could trust anyone there, it was Tech.

"Yes I'm here."

"Are you alright? Are you somewhere safe?"

"I don't know...maybe? For now," she hurried and watched out for any movement below."Tech, what is going on?"

"Echo and I are about to speak to the regs-"

"It's alright Cass," Echos worried voice chattered over Tech's. "We are going to figure this out."

Cass bit her lip and looked to Caleb, who was even more distraught. "I hope so."

Cass shut her communicator off quickly as she heard the rustling of branches below. Caleb made the mistake of readjusting his position, which in turn caused the snow from his branch to flitter to the ground. Hunter and Crosshair came into sight, running towards them as soon as they noticed the snowfall.

"Come on down! We're here to help!" Hunter called out.

Crosshair didn't hesitate to raise his rifle and shoot at Caleb, causing a curse to escape Hunter's mouth. Caleb jumped to the ground and out of the way, and Cass dropped in front of the padawan. They ignited their lightsabers out of instinct, though Cass could sense the hostility was only coming from Crosshair.