Chapter 13

You stayed awake till sunrise, it was time to go. Techno stood up preparing everything. With baggy tired eyes you looked up at the tall man, he didn't seem affected by the lack of sleep at all, dammit why are the handsome ones resistant to everything? It's not fair!

"I don't know what your thinking but the look on your face is definitely mischievous, get up"

"curse your mind reading skills"

Techno had packed everything up and buried the ashes so there was no more smoke or traces of there ever being a fire. He was surprisingly good at hiding his tracks. With a long stretch your back complained about the uncomfortable place you slept with aches and cracks.

You moved with caution, following Technos steps as he traversed the forest all the way to the edge. From here you could see a small but bustling town, the settlement looked relatively new with how many houses were still under construction.

"put up your hood" he said before tucking his crown and mask into his bag. You watched him rip off the white fur ends of his silky red cape and cringed at the sight of such a beautifully crafted cape becoming a torn mess.

"I stand out too much like that, put it in your satchel"

You nodded and tucked them in your bag and quickly threw your hood over your head. Techno led the way, you held onto his cape and followed close behind, your heart wouldn't stop beating. This was the first time you'd been in an outside village, what if the people chased you out or ridiculed you?

Techno stayed stone-faced walking through the village streets that were filled with families, traveling traders and shopkeepers. Most people didn't look your way, too busy with their own lives to even notice the strangers that weren't supposed to be here. Techno seemed to notice your unease.

"you don't have to worry, this town is filled with travellers stopping before the long trek to go around the haunted woods...so we we won't stick out too much if you don't do anything stupid"

"well that makes me feel better but this is still my first time in a-"

"we're here, stay still" he interrupted and you obeyed only moving to admire your mysterious surroundings, everything was so dull and lacked colour but they were still things unknown to you. Techno traded the deer hide for whatever he could get before dragging you the rest of the way to an Inn.

"Remember no matter what, don't draw too much attention in here"

"You think I'm gonna mess up?"

"I have complete Faith in you" He replied sarcastically while opening the doors for you, when you stepped in the smell of fresh stew, beer and a hint of cigar smoke swirled the room, the people sat at tables drinking and gambling despite it still being early afternoon. Your face lit up at the sound of live music and happy people chatting away. The pink haired man walked to the counter renting a room for the both of you while you could only stand stunned at the sight.

"come on y/n, let's go to our room and make a pl-"

Techno spoke to you but you weren't behind him, he searched for your h/c head and finally spotted you standing in front of the musicians, smiling in admiration. Techno stood behind you as you closed your eyes, getting lost in the music. He smiled just watching you deciding to let you have this brief moment of peace as he closed his eyes too.

The music was just so soothing to your aching heart, the thought of your lost home and those strange memories seemed to melt away when the magical notes hit your ears. When the song ended you looked to your side spotting Techno who stood beside you silently. You let out a laugh at his usually relaxed face, his eyes twitched in annoyance as he spoke.

"And what's so funny?"

You just smiled.

"It's nice to see your grumpy face so relaxed..."

"I don't have a grumpy face..."

"oh you totally do, here this is what you look like"

You promptly turned away from him, changing your expression into an exaggerated version of his stoic face, you turned back to him, as far as you were concerned it was a perfect impression of his face. He was however not impressed, you laughed at his even more annoyed face.

"Do you enjoy teasing me? "

"Absolutely, in fact it's my only reason for living," you said sarcastically.

"very funny"

You both made your way to the designated room bickering every step of the way. Techno quickly made it clear that you should sleep now to have enough energy for the next day. When you tried to argue that you wanted to explore the town more he shot the idea down saying that we needed to keep a low profile.

So you slept.

"p-please...just...be quiet...shut up shut the fuck up!"

A sudden scream jolted you awake, it was now night as you searched the dark room for the source of the screaming. In the corner of the room a sleeping pink haired silhouette caught your eye as he stirred in what seemed like he was in pain.

"please just shut up, I don't...I don't...stop talking! "

He subconsciously grabbed his head as if a searing pain was piercing his skull. You quickly got up and rushed to his side, gripping his arm desperate to stop him from hurting himself but he was just too strong. He raised his claw like hands going to scratch his face but you grabbed his arms holding him back with all your strength.

Your sudden embrace shocked Techno awake as he stared wide eyed at you with blood red eyes, you stared into his eyes which were filled with anger and disgust and gave him a look of sorrow. The red in his eyes seemed to fade to his usual black as he regained his composure. He was breathing heavily, you felt his chest rise and fall along with his beating heart close to yours. You both stayed in the embrace for several seconds, Techno didn't even complain about the 'unnecessary affection'.

"You know...I have a lot of nightmares too...about silly things mostly, but what helps me is when I write them down or talk about them"

He continued to stare at the ground as you leaned your head on his shoulder, then in a cracked almost sad voice he spoke.

"It's just...every time I close my eyes I get horrible images-voices...it's...it's confusing, you probably wouldn't understand..."

"I see...so that's why you refuse to sleep a lot of the time?"

He nodded...when he did sleep for a maximum of two hours, it was taking a heavy toll on his mental and physical health, he felt like he was on the brink of snapping. But he wouldn't let it take over...not again.

"Sleep next to me" You blurted out, his eyes widened as he looked back at you in disbelief, but his mood shifted, quickly turning into one of annoyance with a hint of sadness.

"You shouldn't invite strangers into your bed"

"I don't mean it like that...I just think maybe having someone you can trust lying next to you can be comforting sometimes... Or at least I think...again I've never had friends nevermind a lover" You raised your hands in defense of your opinion. He gave a small chuckle in response, it was true he did have a small grasp on his psyche around you.

"Fine...let's sleep together, but just tonight"

"aw man what a tease"

"I learnt from the best," he cheekily answered.

You both shared a laugh while moving to the bed, despite putting on a brave face this was ten times more embarrassing then you let on.

Your face was so red that you thought you might explode when you saw his peaceful sleeping face so close to yours. His soft breathing made his fangs stand out, which you found made him even cuter. Despite his earlier protests he immediately fell asleep as if under a spell. The sight of him finally getting some rest put your mind at ease as you drifted off with him.