Chapter 12

It was a cold Winter's night while a small child with lavender hair had looked out of a glass window that belonged to her room that felt blander than what she’d been taught for the past few years.

Kyoko was a simple 13-year-old, it’s not like she had the answer to everything. 

Yet for some reason, she felt like she belonged out on the field with the higher-ups and doing what she thought was best for the world as this was the life she was forced into.

This is the world that the girl saw.

As Kirigiri sat at her small, cramped desk, she twirled her pen and hummed a slight Christmas tune as it was nearly December in the large city of Hope's Peak.

Brushing a short braid from her face, the female pondered just what else she could solve with abilities like hers.

For the past few years, she had been taken in and trained in nothing but law, detective work, physical strength, and sharpshooting if a gunfight were to ever arise in a case.

The truth was how scared she really was of the sound of gunfire, knowing that if she ever had to truly use the handgun, she couldn't use something to protect her ears, and a silencer wasn't always the best option.

"I wish something would happen."

The small child glanced at the sky while closing a small diary that belonged to her, It’s leather cover was fresh as a threaded bookmark closed in between the thin pages.

Kyoko’s routine was simple until night hours, she was left alone unless needed and didn't feel like interacting with another person since they almost all looked at her the same.

A small knock at the door made her snap out of her slight trance, lavender eyes shifting towards the metal door that had opened upon no answer.

“Greetings Ms. Kirigiri, we have a new assignment for you if you’d like to take it. All others are currently busy with their own studies and relaxing, we thought you’d be the most open person to take this on.” A female stated while clutching a clipboard to her chest and a binder at her hip while dawning a female office suit that was a dark grey.

Kirigiri gave a soft nod, slowly rising out of her chair with a blank stare before following behind the adult as she was led up a large stairway that went straight up to the top floor where all adults had their own offices and meeting hall.

The few children lingering about had watched her go upwards until going out of sight and reaching the office of the leader himself, an honor among the current candidates that were set to become official detectives rather than going on simple job shadowing, training, or small things such as analyzation for higher-ups that led to lesser rewards.

Kyoko gulped when she stepped into the office, staring at the large, candlelit room that was lined with files, textbooks, and an atmosphere that felt like the pure maturity of adults.

“Ah, Kyoko, thank you for coming.” The male in his chair turned to face her with a small smile. He was much younger and had a full head of hair to match the small mustache that dawned on his face.

“Sir!” She straightened instantly, holding a hand to the side of her head.

The male took a small inhale from the pipe at his desk and blew smoke in the other direction before setting down the pipe and sighing.

“At ease, please. As you know, we have a special inauguration for those who wish to become real detectives in this organization. Therefore the exam will be open to you and a select few students, If you pass then we already have a partner and mission set up for you.”