paper rings

One evening in early January, Remus and I were sitting at the kitchen counter, each of us exhausted after long and boring shifts at our new jobs; Remus as a chef at the Three Broomsticks and me at a desk job at Gringott's Bank (newsflash: it is as...

One evening in early January, Remus and I were sitting at the kitchen counter, each of us exhausted after long and boring shifts at our new jobs; Remus as a chef at the Three Broomsticks and me at a desk job at Gringott's Bank (newsflash: it is as boring as it sounds and it does not pay nearly enough as it should for the shit I put up with with those goblins).

I typically got off work at 9, from which I would come home, shower, and wait for Remus who arrived around 11 on a good day. We'd have dinner together and then head off to bed to rest and repeat.

In other words: adulting was boring.

"Anything new today?" Remus asked. I snorted a laugh.

"We got a new shipment of quills," I said blandly. "Now I'm not allowed to write in light black ink. Only dark."

"I didn't know there were different shades of black ink," Remus said.

"That's because there aren't," I replied dryly.

Remus opened his mouth to say something further but James exploded through the doorway with Lily close behind.

"MAKE WAY," he called. "WE ARE WITH CHILD."

"Jimmy, are you seriously going to enter every room like that for the next seven months?" I asked, rubbing my hand over my eyes.

"It's necessary information!" James cried.

"It's a bit much," Lily said softly, closing the door and walking around the island. She tipped the paper bag in her hands upside down and a mound of chocolate frog packages poured onto the counter.

"Well, my bad for wanting to protect Prongs Jr.," James huffed, taking a dramatic seat on the stool next to me. "I don't want him to come out deformed or anything."

"How do you know it's a he?" Remus asked.

"He doesn't," Lily answered with an eye roll. "He just thinks that if he says it enough it'll come true."

"Just think about a baby that looks just like me!" James exclaimed, rocking back and forth in his chair.

"Let's hope that you don't speak that into existence," I laughed. James narrowed his eyes at me.

"Well, I suppose it's alright if he looks like Lilyflower," he shrugged.

"Oh, thanks," Lily scoffed.

"Either way," interjected Remus. "It'll have the best humor."

"And I suppose you think it'll get that from you?" I asked with another laugh.

"Of course," Remus said with an air of offense.

"You'll just make him incurably angry," Lily waved.

"Him!" James cried. "You said him!"

"Oh, shove off you git," Lily groaned through a mouthful of chocolate. "I've just been listening to you all day chattering about "Little Prongslet"."