Chapter 22 - The Unknown Guest

On the day of exam event...

The big courtyard on the west side of the temple was cleaned properly and placed the seats of masters and disciples. Since this year the royal family is joining there is another seat arranged for them. Empress Dowager kindly declined to  join the event. She said the events are for medical people and also it's for young generation. She want to pray in before buddha. So only the emperor and empress will be joining the even respectively. The disciples are exited and also nervous. The exam was not only about oral or writting process but it also has physical exercise too. And most of them failed in physical exercise.

The sun has risen already declaring the time of the day and soon the disciples has filled the courtyard waiting for the masters and royals to arrive. Few minutes later Master monk walked in the courtyard followed by senior disciples and other masters. The discussion another disciples died down once they saw the masters coming in.

Master monk stood in middle, his old face does not have any expression at all. The rules of temple is strict and filled with rules and regulations. And every disciple need to remember reach rules when they joined the temple to learn medicine.

"Today is a great event of our temple. His royal majesty and her highness also joining so I expect my disciples to perform this exam wholeheartedly and maintain our name" master monk said looking at the disciples gathered in courtyard.

All the disciples half kneeled before him and respectfully replied "yes master, we will give our best"

Master monk has satisfied look and nodded. From the corner of his eyes he could see two silhouette marching forward. He turned around and stepped sided waiting for the people to arrive. Soon Manik and Nandini walked in with smile.

"Your majesty, your highness" master monk displayed a rare smile and politely said.

"Master, thank you for the invitation. I am glad I could attend such event in this temple" Manik replied.

"Your Majesty is too generous" master monk shook his head "please this way, have a seat first" he lead them towards the royal seat specially placed for them. On the right side there was another seat which was reserved for himself.

Once they settled on their seat master monk finally raised his hand indicating to start the event. Seeing the gesture all the disciples sit down on ther seats and waited for the instructions.

Aiyara walked forwards "since it's time, I will tell the exam rules. This year the exam system has little change, there will only be written and physical exercise. First masters will call out some names of herbs and you all need to write down everything you know about it. Including types, gens, benefits, side-effects. Then second, there are some patients who seeking for medical help will be brought here and given to you all to prescribe the appropriate medical help"

The disciples gulped down their saliva with nervousness. The exam even changed and they are not informed before. Though in regular teaching class masters has taught them perfectly but they did everything in group basis. Now to perform everything by themselves alone is quite  fearful.

Aiyara gazed at their faces then smiled "don't keep any grievance in your heart. The even system changed because there is a good price for the winner. His majesty offered to take 3 disciples as royal physician in the imperial medical hall. So we can't lack in test to give his majesty assurance that the disciples of our temple could be trusted enough"

Hearing the declaration all the disciples become exited. It is a rare chance to become royal physician. So definitely the test event will be little harder and they need to perform their best to get the chance.