♡20

**

Earlier

Taehyung stepped out of his office building, seeing the sky gloomy and darkening, clouds forming in a tight symmetry to later pour rainwater onto the busy streets. Taehyung took out a cigarette, a constant itching in his neck dying out when his lips met the thin lit cigarette.

His car stopped in front of his building, and Jackson hurried out and opened the door for Taehyung. Taehyung stepped into the back of the car, sighing to himself, muscles aching from the long day of strenuous law work.

"To Jeongguk's," Taehyung said. Jackson looked at him through the rearview mirror.

"Actually- um- miss Veronica is back from home. She told me to get you back to the house," Jackson said, looking nervous.

Taehyung frowned. "She's back?"

For two weeks, ever since Taehyung had told Veronica he wanted a divorce, he hadn't been to his house. Perhaps once or twice to fetch clothes, but otherwise, the sight of the house that once was memorable and full of love now reminded Taehyung of hurt and her.

Veronica went back to her hometown, assumingly. And suddenly, she was back. Taehyung's jaw tightened. Hopefully, it was to discuss the divorce papers. Because Taehyung wanted to see Jeongguk.

With Jeongguk, everything was easy. Simple. Jeongguk was beautiful in the bedroom and equally so outside of it. His delicate moonflower. Everything about him made Taehyung's heart sigh. He was a fresh summer's day in a cold brazing winter.

The car arrived at the house, and Taehyung stepped out of it rather quickly, ignoring the drizzle that had begun. He opened the house door and stepped inside, seeing the dim lights on in the study and nowhere else.

"Veronica?" Taehyung called, a slight annoyance in his tone. He took his coat off and hung it on the rack, walking to the study.

Veronica was stood against the wall, by the black telephone, with the shell of it against her ear, listening. She looked pale. She noticed his presence.

Taehyung stepped in and his eyes drew to the divorce papers sitting on his desk. Unsigned, probably even unread. Taehyung scoffed. "Of course. Couldn't expect anything less from the most stubborn woman herself,"

Taehyung looked at her. Her eyes were wide, glazed. "Why did you beckon me here? Do you have a pen? Is it to sign the papers, Veronica? If not then I rather not be around you."

"T-Taehyung," Veronica let out softly. Taehyung turned around, looking at his shelves. "I'll get you a pen. I'll do everything it takes to get rid of-"

Veronica dropped the telephone from her hands, letting it swing from the curled wire. She fell to the floor, hands clasped against her mouth.

Taehyung turned around, shoulders tensing. He rushed towards her, grabbing the telephone, someone still speaking on the other side. Taehyung lifted it to his ear, and-

"I'm so sorry," A voice on the other phone cracked, rough. "Your m-mother passed away two h-hours ago. I'm not sure how it-"

Taehyung looked at Veronica, his eyes growing wide, whitened. For a moment, he forgot about what had happened. Veronica was on the floor, shaking, eyes wide with tears. Taehyung ended the phone call and kneeled in front of her.

"Veronica," Taehyung said gently. Veronica looked at him, and tears began rolling down her porcelain cheeks. It rarely did. Taehyung gulped, a pang of sudden guilt and sorrow forming in his chest. "I'm- I'm so sorry,"