Chapter 17

With the snow came Christmas

With the snow came Christmas. And with Christmas came the winter break. No classes, endless amounts of comfort food, and the ability to catch up on her sleep...something Castor sorely needed. The stress of her finals at the end of the last term paired with Hagrid's pleading case for Buckbeak was wearing her out. Everyone was headed to Hogsmeade on this Saturday morning. Castor wanted to go, but she didn't know if she had the mental capacity for it today.

Christmas always made her sad now.

Pollux had learned to deal with the depression a bit better, finding ways to carry it so it wasn't so heavy anymore. He didn't have as many bad days, but Castor occasionally felt that she just couldn't be around other people. She always spent so much time helping others and making sure that everyone was always loved and taken care of that she sometimes forgot about herself. When everything would finally catch up to her, she would find herself disappearing...these days she found herself wandering the Forbidden Forest with her furry friend. Padfoot was only a dog, she knew that. But he was a good listener, most creatures were.

"Are you sure I can't bring you anything?"

Eliza, bless her sweet heart, with her brunette hair and freckles, all bundled in her Ravenclaw scarf and heavy winter coat. Castor wasn't too close with her roommate, despite Eliza having shared a dorm with her for the last 2 years. But Eliza always made sure to ask if she needed anything. She knew Castor didn't sleep well, and if she did it was never fully restful. The Ravenclaw prefect was pretty attentive to the sudden drop in Castor's mood around the holidays. The girls had never been close, not like with the Weasley twins or with the Golden Trio. But Castor would always count on Eliza to make sure she was taken care of in the house of blue and bronze.

"No." Castor snuggled further into her navy blankets; her wild curls spread out over the pillow behind her. "I'll be fine Eliza. Go have fun."

"Are you sure?" Eliza patted her pockets to make sure she wasn't missing anything. "Can I bring you anything?"

"Something to help me sleep." Castor's bitter, tired grumble was muffled by the pillow, but Eliza smiled her direction.

"I'll see if Madam Pudifoot has anything." And with that she as out of the door and down the stairs of Ravenclaw tower.

Last night hadn't been pleasant for Castor, falling into restless fits of sleep and waking up constantly throughout the night for no apparent reason at all. Merlin! it was aggravating. As much as she wanted to curl herself further into the blankets, she knew she wouldn't be getting any more sleep anytime soon. Since there were no classes, and everyone had already left for Hogsmeade, Castor took her time in the shower, letting her dark hair fall into it's wild curls wherever they pleased. She dressed herself in a pair of dark jeans, with a dark green knitted sweater. She layered her winter overcoat over the top of it and wrapped her Ravenclaw scarf around the collar.

Checking to ensure that she had her wand and a book, she decided she was going to venture down the hill to see Hagrid again. The groundkeeper had been away on leave while he attended to the Ministry's investigation on Buckbeak. He had only just returned with the hippogriff in the last few days.