Chapter 6 - Just a Piece - Part 1

"I was a good person, before it all went down. I was good my entire life."

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

The scene faded into a schoolhouse, in the living world, with blue skies, chirping birds and radiating enough positivity that it'd make a cherub blush.

We transition to inside the schoolhouse, where a middle aged woman wore a giddy smile and wrote on the chalkboard at the front of her class.

She had long blond hair, held back by a green headband, olive green eyes and fair skin. She wore a long sleeved dress top with cherries printed on it, and a long navy blue skirt. A green necklace hung around her neck.

"Good morning! I hope you all did your homework!"

This, was Mrs. Mayberry. She sang as she bobbed her body to an invisible rhythm, obviously familiar and routine as she wore a happy smile and looked over her class.

Two girls and three boys all bounced too the same silent rhythm, one of the lads already more then happy to strut over to the corner of the room and take a seat, dunce hat on his head.

"We love to do our homework! And we love our teacher too!"

"Then when I throw out these fun questions you should know just what to do!"

"Ok!"

They spun into a song and dance routine, all of them clearly into it and participating to their fullest. Even dunce hat.

Mrs. Mayberry in particular seemed to really enjoy herself, happily bobbing and writing on the board the way she always has.

"Two plus six is-?"

"Eight!"

"And good behaviour-?"

"Great!"

"And it's now that part of the class when we say the time of day and date!"

She was blitzing through the start of the class, her speedy writing a wonder of skill as she sang with the children.

"It's nine in the morning!"

"On January eighth!"

"The sun is out smiling!"

Mayberry wrote this all down with no issue, after all, this was just another great day and the children never failed to make her smile-

"And it's your husband's birthday!"

As the children sang, they didn't notice the crack of the chalk, or the screeching from the board as it was harshly dragged downwards.

Mayberry looked panicked, eyes shrinking rapidly in shock as her mind raced. 'Did she forget?', 'Was it her husbands birthday?', 'It was! And she left without so much as a happy birthday!'

"Oh my stars! Stop singing children! Hush up now!"

At once they all paused in their usual and happy day to day routine, confused and looking at their worried teacher who was leaning heavily on her desk.

"I forgot it was my husbands birthday! I didn't get him anything special!"

She was quick to adopt a look that was reminiscent of puppy eyes, a cute pout on her lips as the class immediately began brainstorming.